Author Topic: is this persimmon  (Read 8453 times)

Offline kayakfisher

Re: is this persimmon
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 06:40:51 pm »
I don't know about your part of the country, But in Mo you will find deer tracks, animal scat piles around in that area, of Persimmon trees. Look for scat piles ,tracks in close to proximity of tree if they contain large seeds in them it is more than  likely persimmon
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 07:22:02 pm »
The bark looks very similar to persimmon, although I think persimmon bark is generally a little darker at least here in Tn. I don't think it is sweat gum, maybe cotton wood. But it could be persimmon possibly. Like already mentioned, you might look under the tree for the large persimmon seeds...opossums love persimmons. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Glenn R.

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 08:09:32 pm »
Persimmon trees don't have much of a crown, very small top in comparison to the heigth and size of trunks. I think I've very seldom seen one over 25-30 ft. Yes deer love them, they are also very edible, once ripe and make good nut bread! Nobody mentioned it so here's one, see if you've heard this. It is an old tale---I heard it many times growing up. You can tell the type of  winter you will have by cutting open the seed. Inside will be the shape of a spoon, fork, or knife. You'll have to research it but if memory serves me correct ???  (too many years ago) the spoon means lots of snow, the knife bitter cold, windy, and the fork thunderstorms/lightening. But, of couse, as with all tales of the hills and hollors---we've cut open multiple seeds only to find different signs in the same year. ;D

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 12:35:00 am »
Kinda looks like our persimmon, I'd have to see the whole tree to be sure. 

Glenn: Here in Oklahoma we get that alot, all in the same day.   ;)  During our last ice storm in December, it was lightning and thundering, while 26 degrees and sleeting.  The trees were right.  ;D

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck