Author Topic: Thorn bush with bright yellow wood?  (Read 9313 times)

Offline mhof86

Thorn bush with bright yellow wood?
« on: October 27, 2014, 12:05:02 pm »
Hello everyone,

So yesterday I was helping a buddy rip out a couple bushes around his house. One we took out was a thorn bush with really small thorns. I wish I had taken some pictures and today after work I have every intention on going back over there to get some of the wood.

It looked fake to be honest. The wood was so yellow with dark black bands running through it. The bush was fairly small and aside from a small carving project it would have yielded almost no workable wood. I am still going to try to get what I can though because the color was to odd to pass up.

I will post some pictures of what I get but I have never seen anything like it, and am wondering what kind of bush we just killed...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Thorn bush with bright yellow wood?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 12:07:15 pm »
Sounds like barberry(Berberus thumbergii or B. juliani)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mhof86

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 12:08:30 pm »
After a little more searching I think you hit it right on the head Pat, but I don't recall ever seeing berries on the thing... Pictures will come later tonight of the wood if I can manage to salvage any.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 12:13:02 pm »
It should have small, oval shaped red berries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mhof86

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 01:04:07 pm »
Gotcha, thanks Pat for the quick response and help.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:34:06 am »
Cool looking bush if ya dont mind the thorns...very brittle wood though...the foliage looks cool when trimmed..i think it makes a better bush than just about anything else but thats just me
..lol
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:50:50 am »
Barberry is are very invasive plant. Birds love the berries and wherever they poop a new plant emerges. I've been trying to eliminate them fro my property for years after planting a few in our landscape.

Offline mhof86

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 10:32:29 am »
lol 4dog that is a little comforting as there was no wood worth trying to save. We will just burn the whole pile of mutilated bush along with the rest.

I think we got it in time before it spread Pat, it was still a small bush and we couldn't find any others cropping up around his property.

All good things to know though I suppose. Thanks for the input guys.