Author Topic: Ash backed ipe blew  (Read 5028 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Ash backed ipe blew
« on: October 21, 2014, 11:27:09 am »
So I'm 0 and 4 for making an ipe bow. The ash backing failed on me during short string. I'm really at a loss for words. It was looking great. I'm ready to just give up
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bubby

Re: Ash backed ipe blew
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:32:46 am »
Lets see some pics of the break, maybe we can figure out what caused the break
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:45:15 am »
It split along the grain in the backing, apparently it wasn't rounded over enough. It's just frustrating. I have one more piece of ipe long tonight then I have some I can splice. But I have no motivation for failure

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:51:23 am »
Read my signature at the bottom of the post it happens to us all, if someone says they never break a bow then they are playing super safe a.d probably way overbuilding

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:51:44 am »
Bruiser you'd be amazed what one day in an experienced bowyers shop would do for you. Just one day. You can learn more in a day than you can reading 5 books and breaking 10 bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 11:58:17 am »
Thanks bubby, it's just a little frustrating.

That's why I'm trying to get to the classic pearly, I ain't got n e one that close.

I don't mean I'm gonna quit making bows, just feel like the ipe is laughing at me. Well see what happens. I got a nought wood for one more glue up. In gonna use boo this time. So hopefully I can pull one outta my a$$. Well see.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 01:42:54 pm »
Do you think the Ipe overpowered the Ash? Are there successful Ash backed Ipe out there?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 01:49:33 pm »
Ash does well with ipe. It split the grain on the ash where I narrowed for the fades. I should have rounded them better. My mistake. I'm just butt hurt I guess. On to the next?

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 02:03:32 pm »
What is your layout, I go 1 1/4" wide about 2/3 of the limb and narrow to tips with epe

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 02:24:59 pm »
Ash can work for ipé, but I think there are better alternatives. Bamboo comes to mind, obviously, but it requires more prep work and is more difficult to find. Hickory is great as well, and even maple would be preferred over ash.
If the grain split from the handle fade, there is obviously a design flaw. Probably every other backing would have failed in this case. Re-consider the width lay-out and fade placement. Don't blame the wood, but start over with an improved design. Don't do a glue-up straight away, since you're frustrated already. You'd be likely to make stupid mistakes again due to frustration.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 02:25:52 pm »
It was gonna be a bendy handle. 1 1/8" wide then taper to 3/8" tips. I was trying to be simple. So I went with a pyramid design. I was on the short string when it let go.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 02:30:13 pm »
62" long

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 02:32:56 pm »
A 62" pyramid is anything but simple! A pyramid bow implies a narrowed handle. Which, in turn, implies a rigid handle with fades. This involves more labor than a simple straight stick. It is also very short, which puts way more stress on the wood.
A 74" ELB is as simplest as can be. You can go all the way to floor tillering with nothing but a block plane. No stiff handle, no fades, no transitions.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 02:41:58 pm »
Also no shooting out of a stand. I'm not a fan of super long bows. I just want a bendy handle with flipped tips, is that too much to ask?!? Lol. Well back to the drawing board.

So what dimensions y'all think I should try on the next? I'd really like to get 60-65 lbs 28" draw

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 02:43:05 pm »
You have to move your bend well out from the fades if you are going to have grain lines running into the fades.