Author Topic: Questions about making my own hardwood arrow inserts.  (Read 2803 times)

Offline lenador

Questions about making my own hardwood arrow inserts.
« on: October 29, 2014, 08:43:16 pm »
 So now that I've finished my first bow I'm itching to make some of my own arrows. A few of my buddies are giving me all of thier Canadian goose wings in barter for some decorative arrows. I figured making some decorative arrows would be good practice for making functional ones. Plus now.I have more Canadian goose feather than I know what to do with.
 On to the questions... I want to make my own inserts for the arrow tips and nocks but I've confused my self in the process. Basically I figured that the nocks and such would run with the grain but then I was thinking what would be the best way to prevent it from splitting.
 So if anyone has an answer to whether these should be made with or against the grain I would be grateful but I'd be even happier if someone could  point me to some information on it so I could read it myself.
 I tried to search for the info but it is kind of a hard thing to look for. Mostly all I found were people  trying to sell pre made inserts or the nifty nocker tool.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Questions about making my own hardwood arrow inserts.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 09:55:39 pm »
Cut the nocks across the grain. You can add a sinew or thread wrap to the nock end and point end to prevent the shaft from splitting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:02:00 pm »
What Pat B said plus google self arrows or primitive arrows, lots of info. ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:39:45 pm »
especially the bamboo garden stake arrows.  Works almost like magic.  Hands down best bang for your buck.  You think shooting your own bow is cool, wait till you do it with arrows you made yourself that cost you less than 2 bucks apiece.  When I was getting back in to archery, I priced the carbon things or even the premade cedar jobs and I about had a heart attack.  then I found the bamboo build along and all my problems were solved--but the addiction got much, much worse. . .

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:08:48 pm »
all my problems were solved--but the addiction got much, much worse. . .
???
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lenador

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:12:02 pm »
Yeah I have a bunch of Osage scraps I plan to make a then inserts out of. The decorative arrows are going to be made from milkweed shafts. To light duty for real arrows but perfect for decorative ones.

Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 05:53:06 pm »
  The thing is that the grain of the shaft runs the length of the shaft, regardless of orientation of the growth rings (which is probably what you are calling "grain")

But consistency is best.  I cut them perpendicular to where the nock goes.