Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

water buffalo horn

<< < (5/5)

Gaur:
Nice pictures Tc. 

The reality is that every pair of horns is a bit different.  Some like Russ's there have some deeper grooves near the end.  If you can't get the length/width then you would have to cut them shorter and change your bow design to a shorter style horn bow for a given set of horns.  I work pretty hard with people to find the right pair for the design they want to make.  Long horns 26" plus are getting pretty hard to find but everyone seems to want them regardless of actually needing them.  Unless you are making a Chinese style bow.  Turkish horn bows only need 18"

But Russ if they don't work out for you I'll get more in Jan. 

Tc:
Randy is right. Once you have the horn you can choose the hornbow style you can make out of it. Generally a 50-55 cm stripe should be good for any type of horn bow (even for a manchu bow). But the stripe must be perfect, otherwise you are just suffering with it....
One more thing:
Although the turkish is one of the shortest type of bow it needs longer horn than e.g. magyar (the siyah is covered - normally- by the horn)

mikekeswick:
I think you have cut your strips too thin. I normally get the outer surface ground to shape, flat and smooth before I cut them if i'm working a full horn.
From here you need to get the strips cut/sanded dead straight. Then you can assess your width/thicknesses. Sides square not trapped.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version