Author Topic: Osage popped a splinter, tiller check needed, second video added  (Read 6973 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Osage popped a splinter, rawhide applied, tiller check needed, video added
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 03:39:57 pm »
its hard to tell at that angle for me,, but the unbraced profile says it is tillered well,, how does it shoot,,
nice job on the rawhide

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 03:46:50 pm »
Thanks Brad, I haven't shot it since I done the rawhide. I haven't drawn it to full draw yet either. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 05:22:06 pm »
well looking pretty good,, what is the weight at the draw you are pulling,,
seems like just go up an inch at a time and see how it looks,,,,what is your target weight now,, and what draw,,,,

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 09:27:49 pm »
Brad, I'm not sure of the weight at that draw. But it was 58 at 27 I'm hoping to get around 50 to 55 at 27. Trying to get a little more of a hunting weight out of this one. I didn't get to work on it today. I think I have a bit of a stiff spot on the upper limb about 8"long just past the fade. And I'm not sure if the fades are a little stiff or not. Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 09:54:23 pm »
The fades look good to me, but you do have a serious stiff spot in the upper limb, it is only bending at the fades.
duke
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 07:53:40 am »
The fades look good to me, but you do have a serious stiff spot in the upper limb, it is only bending at the fades.
duke

Yup, same spot that got you in trouble Patrick. Gotta get the mid limb moving and relieve some stress off the kinky fade.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 10:48:14 am »
Thanks guy's,  not sure why I'm having such a problem with this bows tiller. I'll get some work done on it today and post another video. To check tiller once I think I got it fixed. Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 12:38:25 pm »
Well here's a little update, I worked on it for about an hour or so this morning. I got the mid limb (upper)  bending a lot better checked the bend several times. Shot it about 4 or 5 times and it shoots better but still has some hand shock. So I worked on the outer third a bit before I had to get ready to go to town. I had the wife take a video of me drawing it. I was going to post it but after watching it several times I decided I need to get the outer third on the upper limb bending a bit better. I'll post another video this evening if I can. Thanks Patrick

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 05:10:17 pm »
the mid limb may look little stiff because of the reflex , make sure the taper is even,,,hard to see that in a photo,, so you need to take that into consideration as much as the way it looks,,,,

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 07:49:50 pm »
I did do that Brad. Used my calipers just to check for the high and low spots. Here is a new video of the tiller tell me what you think. The outer third of the top limb may need a little more  work but it's getting better. Patrick
The unbraced profile is unchanged. I'm 55 at 27 right now. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:03:51 am by lebhuntfish »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage popped a splinter, tiller check needed, second video added
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 10:43:57 am »
Looks closer, hit it a few more times. That fact your unbraced profile isn't changing means your going in the right direction.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 10:51:10 am »
Thanks Pearl, I will work on it some more today. I'll post the results this afternoon. Patrick

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 08:54:11 pm »
looking good

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 09:08:41 pm »
Thanks Brad!

OK here's an update, I got the tiller straightened out and I'm down to 52 at 27. Witch I'm good with. The unbraced profile shows just a tad bit of set in the mid limb areas on both limbs. It shoots really fast and has no hand shock at all with my heavier arrows and just a touch with my lite ones. I need to do some work on the handle because it's pretty rough and still shows the split of the stave. I got carried away working on it today and started putting overlays on it before I remembered to get a full draw shot. I already sanded down the tips so as soon as I get an overlay glued on I will get a full draw shot. Thanks for all of your help guys, your awesome! Patrick