Author Topic: Osage popped a splinter, tiller check needed, second video added  (Read 6972 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
I posted a tiller check on this bow a couple weeks ago and I have been shooting game it in. I've run about 150 shots through it and I was living it. Right now it is 58 @ 27.  I was shooting it some today while I waited on a bow in my caul to cool down. I heard a pop and at first I thought it was the arrow slapping the side of the bow so I shot it again and I didn't hear it that time. On a really close inspection I seen a tiny splinter about 6" past the fade just past a whoopty-doo. I I put some super glue on it and quickly unstrung it. If it wasn't for the spot of super glue on the back I couldn't see it at all. Here is the link to the tiller check thread. Lots of pictures. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,48805.0.html

My question is what can I do to repair this? I have silk, rawhide, sinew, and brown paper. I'm willing to go the extra mile on this one. I thought about sinew but not sure that's the answer. Thanks, Patrick

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:52:16 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage popped a splinter, need help.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 09:23:23 pm »
Patrick, I'd add a rawhide backing.      Also, just a simple wrap ill work too but with the rawhide you can dress it up with some art or other decoration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 10:29:59 pm »
Thanks Pat, do you think that would work with one that was splintered all the way across a back ring. My buddy had a bigger splinter pop up on his Osage bow. I think it is damaged from deflexing it. He chased another ring and it looked good but it showed up after he braced it. Thanks again,  Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 10:31:24 pm »
On the rawhide,  would you use hide glue? Patrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:50:34 pm »
If you have it, yes. Hide glue really sucks the rawhide down to the wood surface.  You'll have to remove any finish and rough up the surface a bit. Course sand paper will do that. You can follow the directions for Gidget's sinew job but substitute the sinew for rawhide.
Do you have deer rawhide?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 11:19:54 pm »
No I don't Pat, it's cow. But I think I will get some somehow. It's supposed to be thin right? Patrick

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:36:47 am »
Ill second Pats suggestion of full rawhide coverage. Then fix the tiller, if you haven't already.

PS - I tried to tell ya' it was bending too hard in that fade and flat in the middle, POP goes a splinter!

Man I have done it myself enough to know just what will happen next. Im bullheaded and don't listen to many.. ;). Always learning the hard way I am.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:43:15 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 12:54:48 pm »
yes deer hide is very thin and strong

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 01:26:20 pm »
Only rawhide better than deer would be antelope.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 01:27:11 pm »
...or goat or kangaroo.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 01:38:02 pm »
...or goat or kangaroo.

Not all goat is created equal.  I have a hair-on goat rawhide that is as thick as a bullhide!  If kangaroo was more easily located, I would happily use it, even though it makes me jumpy.    :laugh:

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 04:08:58 pm »
Hey thanks guys. Pearl, I did fix the tiller in the spot you were talking about. I guess  I should have potatoes other full draw pic after I fixed it. Live and learn I guess. And by the way I'm kinda bull headed myself to. Thanks again, Patrick

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 05:29:47 pm »
Definitely potatoes another full draw pic.   >:D

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 09:41:55 pm »
Thanks JW I had to read my post 3 times to see what you were referring to. But I had a good laugh when I found it. I use my cell phone to get on PA and I hate this auto correct crop. Thanks bud, Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

Re: Osage popped a splinter, rawhide applied, tiller check needed, video added
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 02:06:06 pm »
Well I got some rawhide from PatB last week and got it applied to the back of my bow. I rasped it all down and cleaned it up last night. I checked the tiller and it seemed a little off to me. I worked on it some but not sure what to do with it now. Thought I would try to post a video and see what you all thought. Here is two videos, the first is with the top limb in the up position. The second is the bow flipped over. I'm only drawing it to about 24" or so in the video. Sorry if it's not the best but it's my first attempt at a video. Patrick