Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Hysterisis and performance

<< < (5/8) > >>

Badger:
  Pat, actually I would like to see the term shot in become a thing of the past. If we get lucky and build one well inside its stress limits we can shoot it all we want and it never changes. My broadhead record holder I have been shooting for 5 or 6 years now, every year I have to scrape a pound or two off of it as it seasons and it keeps gaining speed. I don't likee the term a fast bow is 90% broke, I use to believe that. Now I figure a good bow is no where close to broke. My crude backyard testing shows that the 80% strain recomended by quite a few physics guys is actually overstrained because the set starts happening before that.

I see bows right here at PA all the time that would do very well in flight shooting.

stickbender:

I was enjoying this till you started using math.   ??? :P

Wayne

PatM:
But they were shot in.
 The current record is still Harry Drake's by my reckoning and that bow dropped about 28 pounds while setting the record.
 I'm still wondering why people are defiantly avoiding making similar bows to the style that worked far better back then.

Badger:
  Pat, is that a regular flight bow or is it the yew bow he used in the complex composite? I would like to know more about that bow if you have information

PatM:
It was apparently just a medium length Yew recurve around 60 inches long. Very narrow and thick and pulling 87 pounds according to Dan Perry.
 Before unidirectional glass came into use Drake made bows with toxhorn bellies and woven glass  backings which showed set after use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version