Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Hysterisis and performance

<< < (3/8) > >>

Badger:
Ken, reaction speed is kind of a false term, everything less than 100% is hysterisis. The more you slow down the limbs with heavy arrows the less you will experience. You will also naturally loose some power to vibration. The idea here is to be able to isolate one from the other by using virtual mass and a better starting point.

Buckeye Guy:
I believe that you are on to at least a good part of the story and will be watching and enjoying your posts here
I do feel the wood types will change they-er  pick up point for Hysteresis at different poundages
and most wood really does not like to be much over 50 lbs as well as it does under 50lbs

sorry if that makes no sense  this backwoods boy ain't so good with words but does have a good "feel" for the things going on in his bow
Guy

adb:

--- Quote from: Badger on October 20, 2014, 06:10:47 pm ---    I don't think anyone knows what I am talking about. The vibration would go more with the virtual mass, the hysterisis is more just internal losses within the wood. I don't know how you could illustrate it. For the most part it is useless information to about 99.99999% of the population. I find it cool only because I have been chasing it for so long.

--- End quote ---

I don't think that's true, Steve. I think lots of people, and some right here on this forum, understand what you're talking about. I think hysteresis is inherent in wood, and different species will have different values. However, I don't think it has as great a significance as you give it. The last piece of the puzzle perhaps, but a much smaller piece than you think IMHO. You say you've been chasing this for years, but do you think perhaps you're chasing your tail a bit? And I don't mean that sarcastically, or in a facetious manner. I believe a well designed and well built bow (with no set, and low mass) and a small diameter string is far more important.

Perhaps the only way to see any meaningful results, would be to build a bunch of bows EXACTLY the same from different wood, and then test their performance. Same design, same draw weight, same mass, etc. Eliminate all other factors, and see what happens. And isn't that what takes place every year on the salt flats anyway? Even then, wood is not that consistent, even from the same piece. I'm just wondering if the Asians, who were shooting arrows 1000 yards many years ago knew about, or much less cared about, hysteresis?

Badger:
     Adam, when I say I don't think anyone understands I am not implicating a lack of ability on anyones part other than my own for not properly communicating. I feel a certain test protocal does clearly demonstrate that a high level of hysterisis is not inherant in wood. We have plenty of example made by most of us here on PA that clearly show the difference between a high hysterisis bow and a low one.

Chaseing my Tail, yep I will own that one. I do tend to get hung up on things. I feel satisfied that I kind of cracked the code on this one though so don't plan to chase my tail here much more.

PatM:
Agree with Adam.
 I just can't see it being the great difference maker.
 The pictures of guys from the past show them shooting bows that had to be loaded with hysteresis to the max.
 They just drew them farther to offset that and make the wood pay for it by contributing more total stored energy.
 Take your record setting bow and draw it 2-3 inches farther. ;)
 There are no prizes for" freshest bow" at the end of the day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version