Author Topic: Squirrel eating bark  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Squirrel eating bark
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:39:31 pm »
Yesterday morning I was sitting in the swamp with my son.  My son was deer hunting in the Minnesota youth hunt and we had a fox squirrel do a peculiar thing. The squirrel was tearing bark off of a dead elm branch. It appeared he was eating the inner bark.  He would then drop the rest of the bark. I have never seen a squirrel do this before. He came a did this 2 different times while we were there. Has anyone else ever seen a squirrel do this? 

Thanks, Mike.

Offline lenador

Re: Squirrel eating bark
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:34:56 pm »
Elm inner bark has various medicinal properties so it may be possible he was self medicating.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:58:58 pm »
I've watched em do it seems smaller saplings strip bark and let it fall, works on it a while though. I  was later looking at a nest in a blowdown and theres a little of everything in there, kinda wonder if thats what the purpose of the stripping was, not sure just thoughts.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 05:56:33 am »
I guess that squirrel could have been bringing the inner bark back to line his nest. That makes sense to me.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:14:13 am »
I haven't seen them do that but I have seen them eat mushrooms
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 02:27:30 am »

I've seen them eat my pineapples!!! >:( >:(

Wayne

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:41:49 am »
Ive seen a squirrel eating a dead squirrel along the road, it was mid winter and the snow was deep.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 07:51:40 pm »
Sounds like a squirrel will eat most anything if times are tough. I do have to say I don't see many squirrels in the swamp area I hunt. Not much for any nut trees so I guess maybe they adapt to what is there.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 09:38:46 am »
Ive seen a squirrel eating a dead squirrel along the road, it was mid winter and the snow was deep.

Sounds like the opening line for a scary squirrel campfire story.  "It was mid winter and the snow was deep, there was hardly an acorn to be found when Great Grandpa Joe had to resort to the horror...the horror." ;D
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 12:14:42 pm »
Our small game season is usually the same time that the new growth and seed buds are coming out on our Maples in the swamp. I usually walk the river from maple to Maple and slaughter the squirrels.
The trees are loaded with them eating the blossoms and young growth. And Wayne, they used to eat my pineapples, too. Now those guys live in my freezer >:D.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?