Author Topic: On a serious note, could use some prayers.  (Read 8683 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: On a serious note, could use some prayers.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 09:18:26 am »
Hope all goe's well for you JW.
Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline half eye

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 09:34:18 am »
sent some prayers up for ya.....hope surgery is NOT necessary my friend. Haven't got much use for surgeons here lately for my own bad self.....get better bud.
rich

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 10:32:32 am »
That is really tough, JW.  I'll pray you find relief.
I've been through so much with Angie and certainly understand.
1’—>1’

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 11:32:59 am »
Don't forget to say a prayer for your self too jdub...  ;)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 11:58:00 am »
As a fellow back sufferer I can relate. When my back went out the last time, just standing in the kitchen trying to fix a bowl of cereal had me squalling like a baby from the "shark hook" in the back pain, I was desperate for relief.

I went the DRX 5000 route with an actually honest chiropractor. He said 15% of his patients had drastic relief from the treatments, 25% had some relief and 60% had no relief.

The treatments were enjoyable, especially having the pretty young gal give me a back rub with electric stimulation after I got off the machine. Did it work, no, the treatments did make me aware of just how much of my flexibility I had lost over the years.

After spending $1800 on treatments I decided to aggressively take on the issue by myself. I researched L5S1 rehabilitation and made up my own set of stretching and strengthening exercises. For the first 6 months of my self induced rehab I couldn't tell much difference, then things started to change. I found my back and neck had become very fluid in in movement. Twisting my trunk had been painful in the past and was now easy and pain free.

My back never goes out like it did before. Now I feel a little click when I do something stupid with the same pain as a mild head ache which brings me to the rest of my story. I discovered the "Roman Chair" piece of exercise equipment. I read in my research that some back pain suffers got relief from using a Roman Chair, I thought "what the heck is that". I found pictures on the internet and realized my gym had one of these contraptions.

My back had taken an excursion from normal and I got on the Roman Chair at the gym, dipped down and heard a "click" from my back. After doing 10 reps I got off the machine and noticed I was pain free. The dang thing popped my back into place. Since my initial introduction to this miracle machine I have popped my back into place at least a dozen times over the last 10 years with it, even bought one for my home when I couldn't make it to the gym.

My routine consists of M-W-F at the gym with the focus normal he-man stuff plus belly and back workouts including several sets on the Roman Chair, total time for my routine, 45 minutes of actual weight training and another hour or so of drinking coffee and watching all the 20 something flat belly gals going through their various exercise programs. Tuesday and Thursday I do what I call my floor exercises, L5S1 rehab exercises at home that takes me about 20 minutes.

This sounds like a lot of stuff to do but I have been doing it for the last 26 years and it is part of my life now, my PAIN FREE life.   

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:13:35 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Marks

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 11:58:12 am »
You could carve out a new spine from osage. It would be durable but folks might call you yella.

Thinking about you. Back pain isn't fun.

Offline Wildkatts Kitty

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 12:17:09 pm »
I'd also get a 2nd opinion from another chiropractor. Not all chiropractors are created equal as I have once again found out since the horse pile up a few months back. As of last Friday, my left arm is doing better so I'm gonna try your bow again and work my way up to my wicked little half-eye bow. Right arm still has "issues" so if I need a gun, I'll still have to shoot lefty.  8)  Hives still have honey on. Mikes back is out, so both of us needed to take boxes off (finally) this week.
Roman chairs are our friend.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 01:13:10 pm »
Prayers only go so far  ;)

Here is what got my back in top shape again
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:52:35 pm by Pat B »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 01:21:15 pm »
I'm praying for you.

P.S. I'd vote for you!

+1

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 02:29:49 pm »
Prayers for you from the deep south, JW. I've been there myself after throwing my back out while unloading a fertilizer truck while planting food plots at the deer camp back in the 90's. It still flairs up now and then. I hope you get it straightened out brother.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 07:30:48 pm »
You could carve out a new spine from osage. It would be durable but folks might call you yella.

Thinking about you. Back pain isn't fun.

That right there was so funny it was almost worth the pain of laughing!

Two adjustments today, loads of walking on natural grass in bare feet (walking helps "set" the adjustment) and I am feeling a fair bit better.  Enough better that I hand sanded a 54" hackberry D bow that I found in the corner of the shop.  I then spent a little time doing the painting technique that Rich/half eye taught me.  All this with as little sitting in a chair or standing on concrete as possible. 

I can tell the muscles are in spasm, but the alignment is much better.  Ice, ibuprofen, and light duty is the order for the week.  I am not allowed to handle any of the birds larger than a screech owl for the time being.  Fortunately, about all I am doing is some training flights with the kestrel.  Since he is a whopping quarter of a pound, his landing on my hand is no great strain.

Thanks everyone, I swear I could feel the prayers.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dingas

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 09:56:36 pm »
Back pain sucks. Found myself flat on my back at the ripe old age of 30, with sciatica caused by arthritis. Pain all the way down my leg to my toes. Apparently that is as bad as it gets but Im not a surgery candidate because I am too young?? My Chiropracter wont do adjustments when it flairs up. He says that while adjustments wont cause any problems, if he does one while the swelling is already pinching the nerve, it could compound the problem and make it a whole lot worse. Alternate heat and cold, Deep Cold is great, dunno if you guys have that stuff in the States... I hope it feels better soon and I will be praying for you.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 10:47:10 pm »
May the lord keep you and hold... JW. I will keep you and your family in my daily prayers. As I know my family will be in yours. Heal quickly, God bless ya bro.
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 11:56:04 pm »
For sure, some back ailments have nothing much to do with the condition of muscles in the back area.  But many are. 
As the years somehow vanish, we lose muscle conditioning because we don't do the type activities that build/retain strength & balance.  Rebuilding muscles can usually be done, if we're committed to doing so.  In my case, it was cycling that changed my life.  Others have described what they did.
Best wishes to a full & speedy recovery!
By the way, John, your humor has brightened several of my days!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 12:50:37 am »
I have two bulging disc, lumbar 4 and 5,which has plagued me for years,  and in my neck 1 and 2 which is minor to me. After the Hip Replacement 3 weeks ago I have been pain free in my lower back. I wish I had done it years ago.

And, personally, I think Chiropractors are Snake Doctors. Just my opinion, I've gotten more relief from Acupuncture.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?