Author Topic: Sinew length  (Read 1602 times)

Offline jandersson

Sinew length
« on: October 12, 2014, 07:20:21 pm »
Hello!
I ordered some sinew from the butcher and he got me some beef sinew about 4 inches long. Is that to short to use for backing bows?
Thanks!

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
Re: Sinew length
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 07:25:17 pm »
4" beef sinew? They get MUCH longer!! I think he gave you the wrong sinew, not from the last leg joint to hoof. My 4" pieces are either discards or stop-gaps, never primary working pieces.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline Chadwicksbog

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 07:27:03 pm »
I am interested to see what answers you get, I just asked my Amish friends to save all the tendons for me this year......they hunt like its the last year to hunt!

Also if you don't mind me adding, what glue to use? And is it one fiber thick backing?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 08:05:10 pm »
The shredded cow sinew I have is about 8" long. You may have to be more specific with your butcher.
  Chad, for sinew backed bows I prefer using hide glue. Most of the sinew bows I've made had 2 or 3 courses of sinew on them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 08:17:17 pm »
I've had the shorter(4") and longer(8") tendons. I definitely prefer the longer ones, but have used the shorter as well.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 09:34:23 pm »
So there are two different ones on the leg of different lengths?  I know nothing about it, I've been a vegetarian for 15 years so I never had to look into it until now. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 09:50:17 pm »
People cutting out sinew that aren't intending to use it for anything other than soup don't try to maximise length, They just cut out the obvious middle section which sacrifices half the length.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 10:11:27 pm »
I see. I'm gonna talk to the butcher then to cut me the whole thing.
Thanks guys!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 12:33:54 am »
I have went to a pet supply store and picked up beef and bison sinew. It is individually wrapped and dried, and sold for dog chews. It is full length too and easily accessible. The only thing you have to do is wash is with some dawn dish soap because they have a little greasy fat on them. Works good,  you could pick them up in the morning and back a bow in the evening! If your fingers don't hurt too bad!  >:D Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 04:22:24 pm »
What brand Lebhuntfish? I tried buying some from the pet store but I found out after it was cooked instead of just dried. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 04:39:05 pm »
If you get it from a pet store make sure its not a bully stick or beef pizzle.  That's not sinew.  Its something totally different  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 04:47:41 pm »
Yeah Clint, but the more you mess with it the bigger it gets.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 05:07:41 pm »
Jack crafty has a YouTube vid where he makes a sinew string out of really short pieces

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 11:31:03 pm »
I don't remember what it was  bubbles. I got it at pet warehouse I think. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!