Author Topic: Hickory Sapling Longbow  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Sanford

Hickory Sapling Longbow
« on: October 10, 2014, 03:25:16 pm »
It's been a long time since I have posted anything on here. I thought I would share this bow. Its a hickory sapling, about 70 inches 70-80ish lbs at 27.5 inch draw. Honestly this bow I made completely by feel, from the layout to the tillering I used just some hand tools and my eye to determine where to remove wood. It turned out better than the effort I put into it. I left it primitive and unique. This is one of my first sapling bows, and I have to tell you, the organic experience is quite awesome. I built this using a knife, hatchet, file and rasp...which is more than I really needed. Quite an enjoyable experience. Hope you like it. As I can't seem to post photos correctly, here is the google+ link, should be easy viewing... any input with photo posting would be nice

https://plus.google.com/photos/116028015545263567988/albums/6068641048909641489?authkey=CPa99NKIiJSQJA
I am the captain of my fate, I am the master of my soul...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hickory Sapling Longbow
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »
One piece of advice sir. DONT cut your string grooves through the back of the bow, it will peel a ring right off.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dueb

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 04:29:11 pm »
Awesome bow man!
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline GB

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:29:53 pm »
Very cool bow!  Really like the natural look of it with some of the inner bark left on.
I use Photobucket for posting pic's.  Just upload to their site and copy and paste the IMG code of the picture to your post.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 06:32:09 pm »
Kyle, you really score big points with me for keeping it real and keeping it primitive.  That bow looks very natural, no effort to make it look manufactured or modern tech.  Stick.  And.  String.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Sanford

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:56:09 pm »
Thanks guys! Yeah I thought about the back peeling off because that string groove. I reinforced the end with some super glue there on the back. The tips do not bend at all for the last 4 inches so I am not that worried either. If I see it wearing into it I'll figure something out or just live with the lesson. Appreciate the feedback!

Offline Renacs

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 09:04:36 pm »
 Nice PRIMITIVE look.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 09:10:41 pm »
Mighty fine! I do agree with PD about the nocks. I saw a friend's osage bow faii right there for the same reason.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 01:48:04 pm »
Nice job!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 06:27:50 pm »
performance might increase if the tips were a bit smaller,, nice bow congrats,,,

Offline Sanford

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 11:07:48 am »
It's Been about a year and a half since I carved this neat little (ha) bow and I just thought I'd let everyone know it has held up like a champ. I reinforce the tips and have had no issue. Has taken about 2.5 inches of set, I think mostly from it being pretty green when I made it. It's still shoot powerfully and could easily take down a deer. I have to say I am most happy with this bow. If you have never made a sapling bow I highly recommend. Such a good experience!

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 07:08:16 pm »
Nice nice!