Author Topic: Quick yew black ring question  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Colindemo

Quick yew black ring question
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:39:44 am »
Hey all, i bought a yew log and found out that there is a thin blacl ring between the heartwood and the lighter wood (forgot the name). Will this be a problem when making a bow? I'm aiming for a warbow of about 90 pounds.
Made and bred in Holland, please return if found

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Quick yew black ring question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 04:58:00 am »
I believe it's ok.
I used to think it was the start of rot caused by bad seasoning... see this link:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/comme-ci-comme-ca.html
I later made a decent self bow from that same batch of wood (also used some of the heart wood for a backed bow)
I have seen plenty of good bows with it and also read that it's a natural chemical thingy. See here:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/rot-or-not.html
There's endless technical stuff on the web that you can trawl through, but however much you read it won't effect the strength of the wood! >:D
I think the test is the feel and integrity of the sapwood, if it feels nice and firm and cheesy :laugh: it's ok even with the line. But if there are checks, streaks black or blue lines running right up throuh it to the bark then it's probably no good. A complete ring that has turned to dead black manky stuff is obviously a no-no too.
I expect this leaves you as confused as when you started !
Del
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:04:44 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 06:10:25 am »
I'm not more confused but neither am i less confused  ;)

I'll try to post a picture when i get home and see what you think. This log had been druin for about 2 years but the guy removed the bark halfway trough the drying process because he thought that was necessary. Was he right?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:25:29 am »
I'm not more confused but neither am i less confused  ;)

I'll try to post a picture when i get home and see what you think. This log had been druin for about 2 years but the guy removed the bark halfway trough the drying process because he thought that was necessary. Was he right?
Removing the bark after a year is no prob'. Take a spoke shave to the edge of the stave and feel how the sapwood cuts.
(leave the under bark surface clean (unless he's already spoiled it by removing the bark!)
If the sap wood is nice and thin I leave the bark on and let it pop off during tillering. If the sapwood is thick it will need reducing anyway.
yeah, lets have pics :laugh:
Del

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 12:16:09 pm »
Del gave everyone at the Tennessee Classic a lesson in how to floor tiller yew this last spring.  He used the cracks on the bark to show where the stave was bending and where it was not bending.  It was the slickest and most amazing trick I have ever seen. 

Good luck with your stave, Colindemo!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 04:30:20 pm »
Here are the Pics, as requested.

That sound like a neat trick JW, i've heard that Del knows a thing or two about yew  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 04:38:52 pm »
i've heard that Del knows a thing or two about yew  ;)

Well, so far we have confirmed two things he knows, but that is about it.  And one of them is that he likes cream in a saucer.

Is that black ring definitely between sapwood and heartwood?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 08:53:02 am »
I've had some turn out okay and not so okay with that....it doesn't look to be to unhealthy...as long as it feels like the rest of the wood and its not punky,brittle,or soft its prob OK...and since its on the end cut there it might only be at that end of the stave...or I've seen it run the while length of the stave too...you won't know till you cut into it...as of now that doesn't worry me

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 09:48:39 am »
not the best pic, but it looks ok.
I'd run it through the bandsaw and see how it looks.
If it's already seasoned you can then take one half and take the edges off by running it through the saw again. You can then use one of the skinny offcuts to make a test bow, it will really give you a feel for the wood.
I once took an off cut like that and tried to snap it and throw it on the scrap heap... danred thing wouldn't snap, so I made it into a full sized bow!
Del