Author Topic: Painting graphics on bow back  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Painting graphics on bow back
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:41:11 am »
Am nearing completion of a bow.  I'd like to paint Native American graphic design on the back, similar to .....

Limbs are backed with linen.
I'm a inept artist.  So need help w/ tips/tools/technique of how to reliably make this happen.
Looking forward to your inputs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:31:25 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Painting graphics on bow back
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 10:44:00 am »
You can use acrylic craft paint. I'd say draw out the design lightly on the back and add the color.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:03:33 pm »
I like painting linen backings. If you used titebond to glue the linen down, you can sand the linen unit it's smooth, then paint on that like Pat said. You could make stencils from using contact paper for a simple design, but still kind of tedious. I've had the best results just doing it by hand, small brushes, and lots of patience. ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 02:11:48 am »
Thanks, guys.  Decided to go with more simple "arrow" graphic for 1st time.  Printed arrow from somewhere on net.  Then made paper stencil and applied scotch tape around edges to stiffen stencil up.  Will soon see how it works .......
Thanks, again!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857