Author Topic: Good Books  (Read 2975 times)

Offline SeanStuart

Good Books
« on: October 03, 2014, 10:38:19 pm »
I thought it might be interesting to share a few books that I enjoyed and that others on this site might. And with the hope that others will also share, and I will benefit ;D. Here are a few:

Someone mentioned "One Man's Wilderness" about Dick Proenneke. I haven't read that but will. The PBS documentary was very interesting.

Adrift: 76 Days Lost at Sea by and about Steven Callahan

Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David Miller

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson -- This is pretty funny!

Running After Antelope by Scott Carrier

Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson

Enough for now.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:43:00 pm by SeanStuart »

Offline wildman

Re: Good Books
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 11:20:17 pm »
A Walk in the Woods is one of my favorite. This is a GREAT idea! Widders Landing is a great book written by a fellow just north of me it encompasses a lot of history in my area, and along the Ohio ,Miss rivers early 19ty century.

Ordinary Wolves - Seth Canter

The Monkey Wrench Gang - Ed Abby

Yearning Wild - R. Glendon Brook

Widders Landing - Eddie Price
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 01:00:53 am »
Anything by Roderick Haig Brown. Mostly flyfishing but a lot of hunting and wildlife stories. He lived in town here from the 40's til his death. His "Measure of the Year" is actually based on town here even though he calls it "Elkhorn". My Dad would tell me who the characters really were, made it fun to read

Offline GB

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:59:25 am »
Neat topic.  I enjoyed "A Walk in the Woods" as well and I'll have to check out some of the other books mentioned.  Here are some of my favorites:

"The Survival of the Bark Canoe" and "The Pine Barrens" by John McFee
"A Voyage Long and Strange" by Tony Horwitz
"Tales of the Old Duck Hunters" by Gordon MacQuarrie.  It's actually a trilogy, followed by "More Tales..." and "Last Tales..."  I bought them quite a few years ago and hope they're still in print.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 06:23:48 am »
If You're interested in Old time camping, this is a GREAT read ! The book of Camp lore and Woodcraft by D.C. Beard. Beard was one of the Founders of Boy Scouts of America. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline wildman

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 10:48:37 am »
How I forgot - A Sand County Almanac- by Aldo Leopould I don't know. I read it from the deerstand every few years. GB I have read a few of the Old Duck hunter books, and I may have one squirreled away some where.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline GB

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 11:19:31 am »
I'll have to find my copy of "A Sand County Almanac" and read it again.  Been a long time since I first read it.  I messed up the title of the Old Duck Hunter books; it should be "Stories of..." instead of "Tales..."  ::)
Just thought of another one I really enjoyed; "Cod" by Mark Kurlansky.  Hard to believe that a book on the history of cod fishing could be so fascinating.  Or at least it was to me. :)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:51:10 pm »
I'm a big fan of James Alexander Thom's historical novels. I especially liked Longknife, Sea to Shining Sea, Follow the River, and Panther in the Sky.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:54:11 pm »
A walk in the woods was a great read.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:15 am »
One man's wilderness is a good book, so is ordinary wolves! Funny, I found A walk in the woods in our break room and I loved it, read it in a couple days!

Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 04:38:44 pm »
Just add another,  "Facing the Hunter - Reflections on a misunderstood way of life".