Author Topic: Backings and Glue  (Read 2040 times)

Offline bow101

Backings and Glue
« on: October 03, 2014, 10:23:31 pm »
Many on this site use sinew backing and hide glue.  And others use fabrics and TB glue.  Does the hide glue hold up well to repetitive use and how long have some of you used this type of bow.?   And does TB glue on what ever backing hold up just as well or better or the same..?   Has anyone ever had Backing separate from the limbs.?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Backings and Glue
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 10:44:49 pm »
Hide glue holds up very well against constant bending action.  With one exception: When it is caked on thick! 

I have been shooting the same sinew and hide glue backed bow for 12 years.  It has been overdrawn hundreds of times and the backing is as good as it ever was.  The belly has begun to succumb to more string follow just because the backing is a "no fail" sort of job. So yeah, I would say that the hide glue will not be the weak link in the chain....just long as you don't subscribe to the "a little is good, more must be better" mindset. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:56:26 pm »
All those old horn and sinew bows used  animal glues, so I'd say it holds up pretty well. :)

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 12:48:06 am »
Bow101 and I live about 100 miles or so apart. The humidity here runs about 70-80% all summer and we have drizelly rain all winter. Will a hide glue/sinew bow behave/survive those conditions? Assuming it's kept reasonably dry of course. 

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 01:11:18 am »
It's fine, just leave it in your house, and pick up a different bow on a rainy day. I use hide glue on sinew bows and tb3 on everything else

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 08:29:06 am »
With skins covering the sinew/glue and a good sealer over that, its fine in rain. Jay Massey hunted Alaska with sinew backed bows, you can hunt anywhere anytime Id say.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 10:52:46 am »
I use TBIII for most rawhide and snake skin backings. If I sinew back a bow I use hide glue got the sinew and the skins. A good sealing, like Pearlie suggested goes a long way in slowing the intake of moisture as the humidity rises.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 10:06:17 pm »
I use TB111 for my skins. I dont know if I will use it again for hick or boo backing because of joint slippage. I have better luck with smooth on.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.