Author Topic: The camp cook  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Will Tell

The camp cook
« on: October 06, 2014, 12:42:53 pm »
When I was a youngster everybody went to their hunting camps during deer and bear season. There was always a old fella who went up and pretty much hung around the camp and did all the cooking. I used to think it was odd somebody would do that. We would all get up before day light and he'd have breakfast ready and would take a little nap after everybody left. Most of the time he'd hunt a short walk from camp. Fifty years later and I look in the mirror and that could be me.lol
Any camp cooks out there???

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: The camp cook
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 08:20:09 pm »
My father is the camp cook in his crew.  He worked all his life as a meat cutter and in the run-up to deer camp, he would watch for the best steaks to come across the butcher's block...they got set aside.  I went to camp with him once in my early 20's but I was not really a hunter at the time.  He ran that kitchen like BOSS.  The food was amazing, miles beyond anything my mother ever made. At 84, he is still the camp cook, has given up hunting (he was never all that excited about it in the first place), and there is hell to pay if anyone makes noise in camp during designated quiet hours!

I like cooking in any situation, camp is no exception.  My buddy, Mikey, helps out, but I am the Cast Iron Chef. I like to step things up a bit, exceed expectations.  I am planning on getting a nice can of duck fat so that I can do proper "pomme frites" over the fire.  For those of you that don't know, they are what French fries wanna be!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 11:33:22 pm »
I can and have cooked in camp but I wouldn't call myself a camp cook.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 04:51:53 am »
JW - I've heard about Fries cooked that way - supposed to be the BOMB. Do You do those with gravy also ? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:08:15 am »
I am a lot when I have friends in to hunt. I like doing it,I get to hunt as much as I want when I am there by myself anyway. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:39:25 am »
My sons a duck hunter, well have to give that Duck fat a try. We are going in on a new smoker and a meat grinder so we can make burger and sausage. I'd sure like to get a Bear, they tell me Bear meat makes good sausage.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:57:06 am »
I am a lot when I have friends in to hunt. I like doing it,I get to hunt as much as I want when I am there by myself anyway. :)
   Pappy
I have ate some of Pappy's vittles, and he would be welcome in my camp anytime! 
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

JacksonCash

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:07:22 am »
One year at deer camp, probably 15 years ago, the camp cook was the ONLY guy to get a deer. He was sitting at camp, drinking coffee, and saw a doe wander up the drive. We don't see many deer at the camp itself, so he thought that was pretty neat. Then, an 8-point followed her right up. There was a single shot 12-gauge, old as sin, above the door of the camp. He took it down, found some shells in a drawer and shot it. He shot between the propane tank and the camp owners truck. The tank was fine, but the truck had a bit of buckshot in the headlight, and the tree on the far side of the tank had a pellet or two in it. He was in the middle of hanging the thing up when we got back to camp.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 09:13:09 am »
Noting makes me happier than a group of people in silence due to my cooking skills.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 01:04:13 pm »
Noting makes me happier than a group of people in silence due to my cooking skills.

When conversation entirely stops and there is nothing but the sound of utensils on crockery and sighs, the cook smiles.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.