Author Topic: Bark for decorative backings  (Read 1478 times)

Offline DavidV

Bark for decorative backings
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:12:12 pm »
How do you harvest bark for backings and what trees can you use? I have a lot of birch, cherry, plum, and sumac but they are mostly around 1-3". Also, do you just use the thin outer bark or do you keep the cambium on?
Springfield, MO

Offline DavidV

Re: Bark for decorative backings
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:48:13 pm »
Well, nevermind. I found the buildalong i was looking for.

Here is the link future search bar users ;)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2366.0.html
Springfield, MO

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:26:00 am »
Thanks David, that's a very good build along. That is also on my bucket list.
Hey that bow I got from you shoots awesome. Especially after I figured out how to hold it the right way! Patrick

Ps,  how's that Osage stave coming along?  Is that what you're using the bark on?
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:30:15 am »
I've used choke cherry bark, scraped smooth to expose the coppery beauty and leaving the mosses and lichens on, and paper birch bark. Glued all with TBIII.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DavidV

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 01:38:13 am »
Thanks David, that's a very good build along. That is also on my bucket list.
Hey that bow I got from you shoots awesome. Especially after I figured out how to hold it the right way! Patrick

Ps,  how's that Osage stave coming along?  Is that what you're using the bark on?

Yep, I'll be using it on that osage. It's been going kinda slow what with classes lately. I got it roughed out and glued on a leopardwood riser. One limb still needs a bit of twist taken out of it but other than that it's some nice stuff. That thinner ringed osage works a hell of a lot nicer than the dark compression wood I've been working with too. Good to hear that bow is shooting, it may not be the fastest but you can shoot it all day :) Bendy handles are hard to get used to, you need to find the sweet spot on your palm, and I never grip it too tight.

I'm gonna get out tomorrow and see if I can find a good plum to cut down and try spiral cutting since it's not really needed for protection.
Springfield, MO

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 01:21:03 pm »
Good deal David, I would love to see it. Be sure and post some pics! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!