Author Topic: Strange thing while tillering  (Read 1408 times)

Offline DC

Strange thing while tillering
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:58:45 pm »
I'm just starting to tiller an OS bow. It has about 2" of reflex. I'm on the long string, but as short as I can make it. I'm maybe getting close to low brace height. I noticed that when I pull the bow slowly and watch a spot about a foot from the handle that I can see the bow slowly bending(moving down) and then when I get to a certain spot it pops back up maybe 1/8 to 1/4" and then continues down as normal. The spot seems to be just after the tips and handle line up. It's acting like an "oilcan" sort of. Is that what it is? It just builds up strain and then pops through?

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Strange thing while tillering
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 05:24:50 pm »
  I've used a pulley system that way many times, pulling slowly early on and never seen or ran across that before. Maybe it will work itself out during further tillering? That's a new one on me but I'm sure it's happened before. I have to ask though, the bow is not whip tillered and after the tips bend far enough they pull the reflexed area out near the fade and give you that sudden movement?
                                                                                                                              Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 05:25:57 pm »
  Just guessing here but I think you are experiencing a sudden change in the string angle or leverage when it starts to break over. I used to notice something similar and eventually started ignoring it.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 06:03:31 pm »
I don't think it's an issue because when it happens it's not even to brace height. It's not tillered enough to think that it's whip tillered. I'm sure it will be gone when I get to brace height(shortly I hope, after my nap :D). I was just curious if others had noticed the same thing. The thought did cross my mind that it might be a warning that a hinge was developing but so far so good.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 07:58:14 pm »
Sounds like a grain issue.  Possibly a soft spot.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 10:13:39 pm »
I have noticed that one time. One area of the limb seemed stiff at just past brace height, then bent as  it should  through the rest of the draw. It did remind me of the oil-can effect, because, compared to the rest of the limb,  it seemed to sort of go over-center and then bend.. That bow became a shooter and I don't recall whether the oi-can went away or stayed.

Steve may be right, about the changing string angle.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine