Author Topic: bamboo source & treatment  (Read 2932 times)

Offline SeanStuart

bamboo source & treatment
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:41:08 pm »
Hey, have any of you bought bamboo from a decorative bamboo source like sunset bamboo? It is very inexpensive. Is there any reason why this would not work for backing?

Another question. There is some very nice bamboo growing nearby; some of it is 4" or so in diameter, but I have no idea how to harvest, prepare, and dry the bamboo, or if it is a suitable type. I am sure the advice is on this site but a search of bamboo is a bit too broad.

Can someone provide advice, or link, or suggest a book? Thanks.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: bamboo source & treatment
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:07:24 pm »
most bamboo will make a reasonable bow or bow backing, even though some species are better than others.  if you can cut slats out of a pole flat enough they will make a bow......4" diameter is just possible if the bow is kept narrow. say around 1"
To harvest the bamboo simply treat  it like wood......cut it , split it, dry it slowly and use when completely dry, beware of splitting and mold..
Cant say about the brands of boo for sale , but you need flat slats 1" to ! 1/4" wide, with the crown preferably around 1/8"  to 3/16" thick
hope this helps,? ask if you want more  details

dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 06:14:12 pm »
Thanks Dave.

A few more Qs. I assume the ends should be sealed as with wood to reduce checking? Does it need to be weighted down as it is drying?

I am guessing it is better to split the pole rather than cut it, or does it matter with bamboo?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 07:02:53 pm »
there is less waste if you saw up the pole.. and you can saw out the best sections. it doesnt tend to twist as it dries, but it can arch over as it dries, this isnt realy a problem,  but i usualy tie the drying slats together, so they dry flat. Once cut the slats dont usualy split, its the whole poles that tend to split, cut the slats a bit longer just in case
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 12:14:28 am »
I have cut and cured a lot of bamboo, I have made over 50 bamboo backed bow to date. Cut the pole sections about 6' long paying attention to the node location for future bows. After you cut the sections knock the inner nodes out with hoe, rake or some other long pole, this will cause the section to have a chimney effect to speed up drying without cupping or warping. After a couple months pop a calk line on the bamboo and cut into slats. I thin my slats first with a bandsaw followed by a jointer, and complete the thinning and tapering on a belt sander.

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:46:32 am »
Interesting.

Dave, you cut slats then season. You mention that the poles if left whole tend to split and I have seen that too, but the only outside in the garden, with the nodes still intact.

Eric you age the poles whole with the nodes knocked out. Does knocking out the nodes also reduce splitting and twisting?

I am sure both methods work but would love to hear the pros and cons from you guys.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 10:07:33 am »
When I first started cutting my own bamboo I would cut it into slats green, quite often the flat bamboo slats would cup into a "U" shaped cross section as they dried and be unusable.

By partially drying the trunk whole I got flat slats every time. I often run a bead of superglue on the exposed cut end which prevents any cracking, shellac would probably work as well but I had plenty of cheap superglue the last time I cut bamboo.

The bamboo would not be completely dry after a couple months in trunk form with the nodes knocked out but a trip to my hot box after thinning would have it ready to use an a few days.

Here is my last cutting, sitting patiently in the corner with the nodes knocked out and starting the drying process.

There is and old man who lives across town who has a back yard full of this bamboo which he says is "Giant Timber Bamboo". It has very wide node spacing and makes great bow backings. It also has a green tint to it even after it dries. I don't know if he is still alive as I haven't contacted him in years.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:22:08 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 02:22:08 pm »
if you dont cut it into slats immediately after harvesting, then definately nock out the node sections.....my experience is they will often still split .....but it does keep the future slats flat...the other way the slats may arch, but i dont find this a prob , because they dont twist laterally, and may even act the same as a reflex improving performance??

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 11:22:06 pm »
I will try to get out there this weekend, but who knows. Thanks for the tips. Eric, that is some green green bamboo. Never seen any that green.