Author Topic: new guy help  (Read 1447 times)

Offline mbt

new guy help
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:11:06 pm »
Hi guys. I'm a total beginner but addicted napper. I live in southeast ky.and seem to be blessed with nappable stone. My question is that it is mostly in big round "nodules"...how do you get into them without gettin pissed and grabbin a sledgehammer? There are lots of different colors and most of the good stuff seems to be near the cortex.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: new guy help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:23:31 pm »
Welcome, and you truly do have some good rock. I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to start it for you, just kidding.

With a good hammerstone or big billet find a narrow end of the rock and try and knock a piece off at an angle. From there just keep hitting the Cortex at a different angle so you are really just peeling it off.

if you can't get together with a knapper in your area( there are some real good ones where you live), then try to find DC Waldorfs books or check out some of the good videos on YouTube.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mbt

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:31:02 pm »
Thanks mullet..btw here is some of the stuff I've found around the house..look any good?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 05:19:00 am »
That looks like some great starter rock! And with some heat would probably work like primo stuff. Tonnage is what you need. Not saying you have to hit a ton but you'll learn to read the rock, what size bopper and where to hit it with how much force and so on.
 Like Eddie said, books and vids are good but you can't beat hands on! Find some knappers in your area and welcome to the addiction!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.