Author Topic: What to do with elm  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Tymac2014

What to do with elm
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:52:07 pm »
I have always wanted to build my own bow, I am 18 and have researched as much as I can about bow building and what all is involved. That being said I thought the best wealth of knowledge would come from others who have made bows of their own.

I recently just got a good nice branch of some kind of elm. I have not seperate the part I need from the beach yet so the bark and everything is still on. Looking at the grown rings it appears its majority sap wood with maybe 2-3 inches of heart wood in the center. Is this still usable? Also I just cut it yesterday being the 25th of September how do I remove the bark without damaging the sapwood behind it? Bark seems to be stuck to it fairly well.

I have a smaller piece that is about 3" in diameter and about 64 inches long what should I do with it? Remove the bark? Just seal the ends and let it season? Or could I just shape the bow and then seal the ends and let it quick dry? Any specs for a elm bow would be appreciated. Looking for something 50# compound bow I have a 28 inch draw but I'm sure it's different for self bows. If it comes out good enough I'd like to use it to hunt deer. Thanks to anyone who replies I'll try to post a picture of the wood.

https://webmail1.mail.aol.com/38771-316/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=27086&folder=Inbox&partId=1

https://webmail1.mail.aol.com/38771-316/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=27080&folder=Inbox&partId=3

https://webmail1.mail.aol.com/38771-316/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=27080&folder=Inbox&partId=1
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:52:58 pm by Tymac2014 »

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: What to do with elm
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 01:16:15 pm »
Imo Elm is one of the most under rated woods for bow building. 

seal the ends and give it a few months to dry... oh and cut it in 1/2.  Elm won't split nicely so use a saw of some kind or skill saw it and split that last bit.  The bark will begin to seperate as it dries.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 01:23:37 pm »
Welcome to PA and it sounds like you might have a stave there.  Good advice given, cut it seal it and let it cure for awhile.  Wood typically cures at an inch per year from each exposed side.

I couldn't open your attachments.  Would be good to see that good wood!
1’—>1’

Offline Tymac2014

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 01:31:33 pm »
How do I attach a picture? I'm currently on my phone and it will not let me copy and paste pictures and when I attached then I guess they never appeared. And thanks yall, so I should split and seal the log that is 5 or so inches thick and seal it with paint or something on each end. What about a 3 inch diameter piece? I feel that splitting it in half isn't necessary and could I possibly only let that one sit for a month then shape the bow and then let it sit for a week and finish it? Thanks for all the input

Offline Tymac2014

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:00:49 pm »
Here's the pictures