Author Topic: splicing bow wood?s  (Read 2643 times)

Offline jeffhalfrack

splicing bow wood?s
« on: September 28, 2014, 11:06:12 am »
  Hey guys I was gifted some osage lumber! more rare than hens teeth  I see some good wood in this mostly board bow and slats  so my question is ,,,,how do you guys splice  Ive had problems with the  z splice  before  most of the time when I splice  there isnt enough material  ,,,,to do it well are there other ways? I plan to start with some hickory backed then boo so any help is welcome lets start a conversation ? thanks JeffW

Offline PatM

Re: splicing bow wood?s
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 11:18:26 am »
A simple v is adequate with good glue. If you are placing a backing on you can put a power lam over the splice as well as a belly lam or handle riser. That will completely box in the splice.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:16:06 pm »
yep a vee will work,
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:11:35 pm »
  Hey guys I was gifted some osage lumber! more rare than hens teeth  I see some good wood in this mostly board bow and slats  so my question is ,,,,how do you guys splice  Ive had problems with the  z splice  before  most of the time when I splice  there isnt enough material  ,,,,to do it well are there other ways? I plan to start with some hickory backed then boo so any help is welcome lets start a conversation ? thanks JeffW

I'm always puzzled about why somebody would gift a good stave when they could just give it--the traditional way.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:41:00 pm »
  Gifted??  well  the guy that  gave it to me is a master cabinet maker top notch HVAC tech he helped down the tree mill the lumber he drove twenty miles out of the way to bring it to me wouldnt take a dime ,just a cup of coffee all  because of a talk  we had three years ago  gift  I'd  say so  what  would  you call it??  I call  him"Friend  tell me if Im wrong thanks JeffW  Btw  its  all most fourteen  board feet!

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 06:15:29 pm »
I've had good luck with scarf splices in osage backed bows having a power lam and glued-on handle.  A maple backed 35# one is pictured.   I clamp the two belly pieces together, bevel the ends- both at the same time- on a disk sander then glue them together with CA (a.k.a. crazy) glue. 

c.d.