Author Topic: Yes stave storage and moisture content.  (Read 2668 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Yes stave storage and moisture content.
« on: September 26, 2014, 09:36:08 pm »
Hello bowyers,

Ok, so I now have my yew stave that has come in from BC (I'm in Edmonton, AB). The MC is 7%, and 11% when the digital moisture reader is used on the bark. I understand I should leave it for a couple of weeks to allow it to acclimatise, or that is what I've been told anyway. How long should I leave it before taking of the bark and cambium and getting to work?

Another question, can I safety store the stave in the bathroom? My thinking is that it won't get too dry in there due to daily showers?

All help really appreciated ;)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Re: Yes stave storage and moisture content.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 09:38:09 pm »
Also, this is a pretty nasty knot smack bang in the middle of the stave. I've been told by another yew bowyer that it shouldn't be too much of a problem as it will be around the handle area?

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:01:50 am »
It seems that "space" around the knot goes less than 1cm deep.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 08:11:39 pm »
If the wood was properly dried, there is absolutely no need to let it "acclimatise" before you start working it. You can work it immediately. I would, however, let it come to your local EMC ("acclimatise") for at least several days before you start tillering it. But I assume that'll take at least a week anyway, so that is no problem. Once you have her floor tillered, it will have had enough time to get to EMC.

Calculate your local EMC based on average temperature and humidity. Don't rely on a wood moisture meter. In my climate, I must not store wood in a bathroom, as that will elevate the EMC too much, above the optimal moisture content for most woods. However, if you live in a dry and hot desert, your EMC might be too low for yew (but optimal for hickory) in your loving room. In that case, a cooler and/or more humid room such as the bathroom is a good way to raise the moisture content of the wood. But you need to make sure that it is needed, since that depends on your local climate.

That knot looks a bit dangerous, with that dead wood and bark remnants around it. Where is it located? In the middle of the stave length wise? And where is it width wise; how much healthy wood do you have on the other side of the knot?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 08:36:40 pm »
If the wood was properly dried, there is absolutely no need to let it "acclimatise" before you start working it. You can work it immediately. I would, however, let it come to your local EMC ("acclimatise") for at least several days before you start tillering it. But I assume that'll take at least a week anyway, so that is no problem. Once you have her floor tillered, it will have had enough time to get to EMC.

Calculate your local EMC based on average temperature and humidity. Don't rely on a wood moisture meter. In my climate, I must not store wood in a bathroom, as that will elevate the EMC too much, above the optimal moisture content for most woods. However, if you live in a dry and hot desert, your EMC might be too low for yew (but optimal for hickory) in your loving room. In that case, a cooler and/or more humid room such as the bathroom is a good way to raise the moisture content of the wood. But you need to make sure that it is needed, since that depends on your local climate.

That knot looks a bit dangerous, with that dead wood and bark remnants around it. Where is it located? In the middle of the stave length wise? And where is it width wise; how much healthy wood do you have on the other side of the knot?

The stave is 75 inches long and that knot is at 33 inches, so almost the middle. The stave is just shy of 3 inches width.
The depth of that dead wood is only 2mm deep though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:50:26 pm by TheDukesArchers »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 09:35:48 pm »
 ::)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 10:12:00 pm »
Not even the people he thought I was on about.