Author Topic: Heat correcting twist without reducing...  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Heat correcting twist without reducing...
« on: September 26, 2014, 01:51:29 pm »
I've heat corrected twist on bows once they've been roughed out. But has anyone corrected twist while still in stage form? I want to untwist some of this Osage before I attempt to sell it. Any suggestions?

Offline TimBo

Re: Heat correcting twist without reducing...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 02:09:48 pm »
I have tried half-heartedly to straighten thicker pieces of wood (with both heat gun and steam) and have come to the conclusion that it's a lot better to reduce them first.  To do it properley, you need a seriously heavy duty clamp/jig setup.  Having said that, I am looking forward to learning something new from the more experienced guys on this topic.

You could also just call them Select Character Staves for the Advanced Bowyer and sell them for more money!

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 02:16:04 pm »
I tried it once with  a yew stave that was about 2" square. I managed to do it but the stave split a bit up the middle. I used it anyway and it made a bow. It's a whole lot easier to do when it's reduced some. Maybe you could sell floor tillered staves ;D

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 02:55:29 pm »
Get rid of Osage staves?  :o You obviously have not reached the proper level of hoarding yet ;)

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 03:12:27 pm »
Get rid of? No, lol. Just recouping the price of these logs to get more. ;)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 01:03:05 pm »
SPLIT THEM TO STAVE SIZE AND BE DONE.  UNLESS IT IS STILL GREEN THEN YOU COULD GET SOME OUT WITH STEAM HEAT AFTER SPLITTING.

I wouldn't bother till I was making staves.