Author Topic: black ash  (Read 4932 times)

Offline John K

black ash
« on: January 09, 2008, 04:31:52 pm »
Anyone worked with Black Ash  ???
I cut a tree down last April split it and had it drying in my aprtment.
About a month ago i went to work on it, i'm finding out it might not be the best wood for my first bow.
After doing some reading i find out it was used for baskets because it peals apart easy with the grain.

Anyone else worked with black ash  ???

FB
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: black ash
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:13:40 pm »
Never tried it personally, but I've heard people say that black, green, or blue ash aren't nearly as good bow wood as white ash. I bet it will make a bow, though-never know until you try. I would try to make it long and wide.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 05:56:44 pm »
I'm trying it, will see how it turns out. I have it 2inches wide at the handle and 66"long.
Tonight i try to brace it for the first time  :o

I'll post tomorrow how it went.

FB

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:21:53 pm »
I think at that length your going to get some serious string follow unless you have a really short draw.
But please prove me wrong. ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 01:03:00 am »
I have a lot of black ash around me. I have also thought about making a bow out of it but never tried. I did see some on Ebay a while back being sold as staves. I contacted the guy just to see how how he made them. He sent me an Email saying it was good wood but didnt go into to much detail  I do remember him saying something about stringing it backwards when its still green and letting it dry like that. Good luck if it doesnt work for a bow soak it in water and use the fibers for a basket. I know it works for that.                                              Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:03:01 am »
I have hear the same thing as Hillbilly,I have made several Ash bow but to be honest I don't know how to tell the deferents.I have heard Blue Ash has a kind of blue tint but don't know how to tell
while it is standing.I would make it longer and wider than normal at least until I made one out of it
and see how it done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 08:09:40 am »
You might try to put some reflex into it before stressing the wood to much. Heat treatment on the belly ought to put a little more life into it. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline richpierce

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 11:09:58 am »
Blue ash bark is totally different from white ash and is easy to spot.  It generally grows along streams and can have a smooth bark with corky bits on it at the base.  The oppisite branching pattern and leaves are trhe same as white ash- that's the only way I'd know it's an ash, because I generally first notice the bark in identifying white ash.

I think ash is "OK" as a bow wood.  My first ash bow snapped (I had not a clue how to make a bow then) and my recent one was hard to tiller and took some set despite low draw weight for length (45#, 68" nock to nock).  It shoots very smoothly though, but lacks the cast of a black locust bow I built at the same time, which has a similar draw weight, is 66" nock to nock, and took less set.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 11:12:36 am »
I've had good luck with white ash, I consider it to be pretty good wood. You have to make the bow limbs wider than you would with a heavier wood, though. It can usually be found nice and straight, also.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline John K

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:56:01 pm »
Just got back from working on the bow. The tiller is looking good pulled to 20"
After unstringing it seems i have about 1-2 inches of string follow, not sure if the moister is low enough  ???
I would like to get another 9 to 10 inches of draw out of it, but not sure thats going to happen, might have to give it to a kid.
Either way it has been a learning experince. 

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 11:47:01 pm »
could very well be good.  i have Pop Ash here in FL. its a round leaf ash tree and only grows here in the deep south as far as i know. no one knew anything about it so i cut some and i rate it better than any hickory or elm i have found. it took very little if any set and has great cast. it was also i small diameter tree top stave so its more like a d shape bow naturally.

give it a try and good luck with it- Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive