Author Topic: hazel tillering input appreciated  (Read 8662 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
hazel tillering input appreciated
« on: September 23, 2014, 05:21:48 am »
Hi fellas my 63" Hazel D bow appears to be holding up. Any input on the tiller would be greatly appreciated. The braced pic is about 5" and the draw is 17". Thanks Si
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: hazel tillering input appreciated
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 05:36:11 am »
Looking good, but right limb looks stiffer?
But from how it sits on the tiller I'm guessing that's the lower limb, so maybe that fine :)
Maybe mid limbs could do a tad more? The middle and tips seem to be working
It's worth while getting a tiller set up somewhere nice and square if possible, I realize we don't all have the luxury of big workshops tho'  :'(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 06:46:44 am »
Thanks Del- its still pulling above my drawweight so i'll keep going and keep my fingers crossed! It makes me nervous pulling it further back now! :-0
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:29:04 am »
Looking pretty good to me,I would just kep doing what you are doing and work it out to draw length and weight. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:28:19 am »
With that raised area at your handle section it looks like your bending it backwards  ???  ???  ??? Did u glue something to the back of it???

So what and why is that???  ....and which side are you removing wood from???  ??? Sorry but I have to ask cus it don't look right

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 09:29:14 am »
With that raised area at your handle section it looks like your bending it backwards  ???  ???  ??? Did u glue something to the back of it???

So what and why is that???  ....and which side are you removing wood from???  ??? Sorry but I have to ask cus it don't look right
Looks like bark on the back and a flat belly to me, which is a good design for Hazel...
Del

Offline sieddy

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 09:40:14 am »
H :)ey Blackhawk and Del
This stick is indeed au natural i took the bark off but there is a layer of wrinkly cambium stuff on the back which i think is pretty cool. I've left the handle area a little thicker as i read that a d bow should be slightly stiffer at the grip. Thanks again

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 09:44:24 am »
Looking good to me.  Just a little stiff on the right limb.  Did you narrow the handle area?

Offline sieddy

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 09:51:06 am »
Hi Matt
The handle is an inch wide and from the fades the limbs are just under 2". I've been learning from you guys!  :)

Offline sieddy

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 12:20:40 pm »
I got my stick back to 23" now. Its looking good to me but was starting to follow the string so ive  heat treated it.  i'll give it a c :)ouple of days to rehydrate and then get back at it. 

Offline sieddy

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 12:22:24 pm »
Sorry for the wonky photo!   ::)

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 01:19:40 pm »
Looking good. I wouldn't worry too much about a bit of set. How wide are the limbs, I reckon you need a good 2" to avoid set unless you heat treat.
Del

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 01:35:55 pm »
I agree with del.  looking good.  Have you decided what limb is going to be the top and bottom?  The right limb would make a good candidate for the bottom.  Just a tad stiff in the mid but nothing too bad.  Great job.  How far of a draw are you shooting for.  Also what weight are you shooing for
 :)

Matt.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 03:54:29 pm »
Cheers fellas its just under 2" wide (i wouldve gone wider but messed up the layout!)   ::)
I don't mind a little set but hope i can nip it in the bud now. I had thought the left limb would be bottom but its feeling a bit better the other way round so i might well go with the right. I'm going with the flow with draw length and weight if i can get it  between 35-40# @ 26" i'll be chuffed. I'm lovin the adventure anyway! :D

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 04:21:31 pm »
Well you're almost there then  :).  Keep up the good work.  what weight are you at now?