Author Topic: Latest Maple Lam Bow  (Read 4372 times)

Offline bow101

Latest Maple Lam Bow
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:57:58 pm »
This is the latest lam I've done.  Almost finished just have to shoot 'er in and hopefully with luck put a finish on it.  63" NTN about 48-52# @27"  a little under 1 1/2" width at the fades.  It has a 20" white oak 1/8" Power Lam between both lams.  3" glues in reflex.
Still have to get a better full draw pic the computer or something acting up and cutting off the bottom of some photos.   As you can see from the shavings the glue went quite well on this one.  Comments welcome.

PS. someone tell me more about String follow and Set I know this subject has come up a millions times.  Anyway this bow lost 1/2" of reflex on the tips after tiller and took set of 1/2" in the mid limbs to fade areas.....So is this a total of 1" of set or what.  :-\
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bow101

Re: Latest Maple Lam Bow
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »
The one on the left     the other bow is an experiment.  ;D

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:25:14 am »
Is it bending at all around that handle?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:13:34 am »
Cut that handle back off and let her bend through, its going to pop off as is.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 01:32:31 pm »
No way that handle is gonna stay. Not even ductape would hold that sucker
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »
Cut that handle back off and let her bend through, its going to pop off as is.

It is bending in the area but very, very slight.  Problem is I already narrowed the handle section for fit and cut in a small arrow shelf.   ???       I pondered on that most of the day.   If I take off the handle it may bend to much in the center and break.  You still think its advisable  :-\

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 03:28:24 pm »
It wont stay put, I promise. Cut it off. If it appears to be bending too much in the middle afterwards, add a 18-20"long belly lam on center and stiffen it up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:07:46 pm »
Pearly is telling you right.  I would take another route if you have to have a handle.  Stiffen it with the lam he described and then build it up with several decreasingly shorter thin laminates.  Then you will have one that will last.  Other than the handle issue, it looks like a cool bow to me.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 06:18:04 pm »
...... >:(  oh well made fire wood again I tried taking off the handle and off came a huge chunk of the belly..... on to the next project.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 07:13:57 pm »
What did you go and do that fir?!?!?!?! You should have just rasped it off clean and easy. On to the next!

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 07:27:57 pm »
Set is damage to the wood. String flow is the tips following the string when unstrung. A stave with two inches of reflex that loses one of those inches has one inch of set, one inch of reflex=no string follow. A bow that starts with one inch deflex and ends with one inch of deflex has no set, one inch of string follow.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 07:45:29 pm »
What did you go and do that fir?!?!?!?! You should have just rasped it off clean and easy. On to the next!

Yep I agree, I have to stay away from the chisels.  :(   I have other lams sitting and waiting.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 07:57:30 pm »
 :(  Part of it.  I don't even hesitate anymore - just chunk it in the burn pile and grab another one.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 09:13:53 pm »
Seems like you might have saved it to make another bow like the one on the right...

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 12:11:12 am »
I'm getting to think more like Howard lately.  Looked like it was bending good too.