Author Topic: Help making arrows?  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Help making arrows?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 06:32:24 pm »
Sure Patrick,
First, standard arrow spine is based around a 28" long arrow with a 125 gr point, supported 26" apart with a 2lb weight suspended in the middle.
Arrow spine is reduced 5# for every 1" longer than 28" and increased 5# for every 1" under 28".
Also, arrow spine is reduced 5# for every 25gr point heavier than 125 and increased 5# for every 25gr less than 125.

As far as the numbers 26 and 80 in the calculation. 26 is a constant and 80 is the spine of the arrow you're looking for.

eg. This works for me with cane and boo shafts....If your draw weight @ your draw length is ..say 50# @ 29".  You will need at least a 30" long arrow, which is 2" over the std 28" = +10#.  therefore, you're looking for an arrow with a 60# spine with a 125gr point.  If you want to shoot a 150gr point (25 over the std 125) then 65# arrow is needed.  Then do the calculation for deflection.  26/65=0.4", therefore an arrow that deflects about 13/32" (0.406) is a good starting point.

Not to complicate things more....but, I have learned (from PatB) to start with arrows about 3-4" longer than my draw length, then do the math, and always tread on the lighter side spine.  This will help, if you do not shoot off of a "cut-in" shelf bow and for the natural taper of cane and boo.  Plus if the arrow shows a weak spine when shot, I've got room to trim off the arrow length to stiffen the shaft when bare shaft tuning.

Sorry for being so long winded, hope this helps,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Help making arrows?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 12:38:30 am »
DBar, thank you very much! That is a very good explanation,  and very easy to follow. I'm going to print this thread out and keep it in my garage so I can use it while I make some real arrows! Thanks again bud. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!