Author Topic: Yew staves and warbow weights?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Yew staves and warbow weights?
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:39:00 pm »
I know that the higher the weight of warbow you want to make, the better quality stave you will nee d. what is around the max weight for just an average stave? I'm thinking of around 70lb at 31.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Yew staves and warbow weights?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:33:08 pm »
I would try anything over 70# unless it was a nearly perfect stave.
I've only made one yew bow over 85# and only 7 or 8 yew bows altogether, so I'm not as experienced as some with it.
An average yew stave should get you 70# though, you'd have to post a pic when you get one

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 02:47:40 am »
Thanks for the reply. I could go down to 60-65. I want at least a 30 inch draw length though. I did try to make a yew longbow before, but the stave wasn't very good, so I made a flat bow instead. Now I'm going for it as I have found a decent stave.

EDIT
The stave will be a premium from echo archery

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 04:29:25 am »
There is no "average". I think the important thing is a clean back. Knots on the belly you can live with, a few pins coming cleanly through the back is ok, but you don't want any nasty discontinuities in the back on a heavy bow. I start getting twitchy over 90#
If you can get a stave where the back needs nothing doing to it at all and it still has the bark on it you are on to a winner, just carefully remove the outer bark, leave the inner stuff, it will pop off in it's own good time and it offers some protection against the inevitable bumps you get when working a very long stave.

Length is a great de-stresser of bows, so always go longer than you think, it's easy to take an inch off each end but difficult to piece together an exploded bow.
Don't get suckered into the high arched D of the Victorian longbow most of the Mary Rose Warbows looked more like an 'inflated square' cross section or almost round.
the other thing is tillering a heavy bow feels very differnt to a lighter bow, you have to be pulling serious weight right from the start and there is no such thing as floor tillering! If you can flex it on the floor, it's probably too weak already!
Del
(if all else fails wear a hard hat and safety glasses >:D)
PS. Getting a heavy bow braced for the first time is a nightmare, you absolutely must have a decent non stretch string. A continuous loop string with a string shortening ring (or such like) is best (IMO), a bowyers knot can just slip at high weights.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:40:30 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 04:53:12 am »
Thanks for the reply, Del. helpful as always.

Well I want this bow to be 70lb max, and to be honest I'd be happy with anything over 65lb. I should have said heavy longbow weights and not warbow weights.

The yew is pacific yew and not as dense as European, so is a D shape not better?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 05:59:23 am »
Thanks for the reply, Del. helpful as always.

Well I want this bow to be 70lb max, and to be honest I'd be happy with anything over 65lb. I should have said heavy longbow weights and not warbow weights.

The yew is pacific yew and not as dense as European, so is a D shape not better?
A D is fine, I'm just saying don't get obsessed with it early on.
I work my bows up with the cross section rectangular and the tips left wide until it's back to brace then start rounding off the corners on the belly and narrowing the tips, you end up with a D shape, but some people go mad and end up with it as deep as it is wide early on and then wonder why it tries to bend sideways.
70# is a nice weight and you should be able to get away with a less than perfect stave at that weight, but youll still want a reasonable length say 72"  absolute minimum for a 32" draw (IMO)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:56:06 pm »
Josh, get some pics of the stave up on Facebook or the ewbs forum when you've got it, and let Ian/Joe/Jaro/Aaron etc have a look.  Describing is it one thing but they'll spot any potential issues that you might miss.  It's all well and good trying to pigeon hole the quality of a piece of wood and laying out a bow from it, but you can make monster bows from crazy character staves if you know what you're doing.  Look at Michael Heinz's "Heimdallr" - well over 100# and is the most bonkers, unlikely looking piece of wood ever.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 11:28:16 pm »
I find bow making to be so complicated. Perhaps it has something to do with me never being a very hands on type of person.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:46:22 pm »
You should check out one tree bows. Clark is a super nice guy, and has been building yew bows and leading classes since I was in diapers.
He lives in nakusp BC, which isn't really that far from you.
Make a long weekend out of it, and go learn hands on from a real yew guy.
After,it won't  seem so complicated, sort of..

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 11:49:23 pm »
And if you go out that way, don't forget your saw!

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 12:35:18 am »
You should check out one tree bows. Clark is a super nice guy, and has been building yew bows and leading classes since I was in diapers.
He lives in nakusp BC, which isn't really that far from you.
Make a long weekend out of it, and go learn hands on from a real yew guy.
After,it won't  seem so complicated, sort of..

Yeah he does seem a nice guy, emailed him about a stave once. I may go to BC next summer for a course like this and to harvest some of my own yew.