Author Topic: just gettin' started  (Read 3109 times)

carnivore

just gettin' started
« on: January 09, 2008, 02:46:47 pm »
I live in SW Missouri and assume that now is the optimum time to gather materials for bows and arrows.  I already have killed a couple of Hickory and Hedge trees for my bow(s).  I also saw a thread regarding the use of persimmon, which I can get plenty of.  In regards to arrows, I saw mention of multiflora rose (plenty of that as well).  If anyone can point me in the right direction of which materials are available in my area, it would be greatly appreciated.  I am anxious to put meat on the table without the use of training wheels.

Offline Woodland Roamer

Re: just gettin' started
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 03:24:30 pm »
Welcome Carnivore! Sounds like you have a good start already, some of the missouri guys will be along shortly I'm sure. I bet you have some river cane in your area. That makes great arrows

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 05:36:17 pm »
Make your first bow or two out of that hickory you cut. Darn near impossible to break, perfect for a starting selfbow, and easier to work than hedge. It also makes nice arrows (spliitig/cutting shafts outta logs). I'd say a flatbow, 2" wide limbs, about 66" long- Comstock style :) (see The Bent Stick).

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:02:00 pm »
persimmon is beautiful wood, its has some great characteristics for bow making aswell. finding a straight one may be difficult if your trees look anything like mine. i would make some from hickory before trying the persimmon. good luck with it. - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:15:56 am »
Welcome aboard carnivore,Hickory or Persimmon either will make a fine bow.The diminution's
Kegan will work fine for either,just be sure it is well seasoned and keep it dry as you work on it.
If it hasn't been cut long just rough it in close to bow size and put it in a warm dry place and it will dry out a lot quicker.If it is still pretty wet you might want to clam it to a board so it doesn't twist as it dries.Good luck. :)Nothing like throwing away the training wheels. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

carnivore

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 09:47:02 am »
The only book I have on making bows is by Douglas Spotted Eagle, and if I remeber correctly he says to cut your logs, paint the ends of the logs, and let them dry for 3 months before "cutting" your staves.  I have seen the bowyers bible mentioned several times, perhaps that should be my next purchase.  I also watched those flintknapping posts on youtube, which are awesome.  Would be great if PA could get a show on the Outdoor Channel.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:53:40 am »
Welcome! Im from mid Mo.,just north of Columbia,all kinds of stuff in our state,bow wood,arra shoots,flint and chert too. I recommend checking out the dept.of conservation site its chock full of helpful stuff,like tree and plant identification books and more.Dont forget about local sawmills, never know what kinda cool wood you can find there. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:34:14 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 11:16:10 am »
The only book I have on making bows is by Douglas Spotted Eagle

Welcome aboard, Carnivore. I have that book somewhere, also. It has some good basic information, but also some somewhat misleading info, also, IMO. If you buy the first volume of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible, you'll never regret it. Also, this forum is of itself probably the best all-around source of information that I've found anywhere.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.