Author Topic: Big Holly...  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Onebowonder

Big Holly...
« on: September 15, 2014, 04:10:29 pm »
I finally got a hold of some Holly (American I think).  I'm needing the benefit of your experience if you've worked with this wood.  Is it more of a tension loving wood or a compression loving wood?  How does it compare to other more typical bow woods?  Any suggestions for dimensions to use with it?  I think it is the 'white-est white wood' I've ever played with. 

I have 5 logs to work with and the least one is 8 plus inches in diameter at the smaller end. 

Also - I'm wondering if I should mill some of these into quarter sawn lumber or try to make staves of it all.

OneBow
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:19:06 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Big Holly...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:59:39 pm »
I've never used holly for bow wood but I know that it checks real bad, worse than any other wood I know of.   It makes good carving wood.  :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 05:09:23 pm »
I've never used holly for bow wood but I know that it checks real bad, worse than any other wood I know of.   It makes good carving wood.  :-\

Yikes!  That would make me think NO WAY on bow building with it!  Good thing I didn't pay anything for this stuff.  I was sure I had read on here that it was a fair to good bow wood.  Oh Well!  I have other uses for the wood - but I was sure I'd heard it'd work well...

OneBow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 05:10:41 pm »
See what others day.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:54:55 pm »
I remember hearing that and seeing a holly bow as well but I think it was around 35# and fairly long?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:50:40 pm »
Hey Eric, give these a look, I found them with a quick Google search.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=26267.0
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=29491.0
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=43714.0
The last one has a really nice looking holly bow in it! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 11:59:47 pm »
FYI, the specific gravity of holly is .64.  Mockernut hickory is .82 and osage is .86.

Here's the comment posted on The Wood Database about holly. "Comments: Holly is typically used only for ornamental and decorative purposes. It has a fairly large shrinkage rate, with a lot of seasonal movement in service, and its strength properties are mediocre for a hardwood."

I've worked with some holly but only for carving and inlay work per Pat's comments.

But what the heck, if you can get some well seasoned, it might be fun to try a bow out of it if you have some with pretty clear grain.  Go for it.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 12:37:12 am »
seemed pretty good to me, yeah it checks like crazy but then again i didn't prepare it at all (i only had a knife on me). seems like pretty tough stuff
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 03:27:48 am »
Yep heavy when you cut it but dries a lot lighter. I've heard of bows made from it surviving a few shots then exploding....rawhide/sinew back maybe?

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 06:18:37 pm »
Thanx for all of the great input guys.  I guess I'll mill up most of this wood for other purposes, but save out the most promising bits to try and make a self-bow from.  Can't hurt to try...

OneBow

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 03:02:13 am »
Holly is nearly impossible to split using wedges. I would recommend to use a saw to cut it into staves/lumber. I tried to split a 12"x 3" section of a log, and it was hilarious! :P
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Chad

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 08:28:54 pm »
save the leaves, you can roast them and drink them in tea. Popular during the civil war. Be sure to roast them though, or dry them, they can be an emetic (cause nausea and vomiting). It's good tea though. Yaupon holly has caffeine.