Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

Do you need to have a sinew back?

<< < (5/9) > >>

JackCrafty:
Watching this one with great interest.  :)

mikekeswick:

--- Quote from: PatM on September 18, 2014, 03:52:43 pm --- Good tensile strong wood stands far more tensile force than that. WAY more in fact. Horn is also not stiff which lowers the back stress even more.

--- End quote ---

Yes the woods are more resistant to stretch BUT they cannot stretch as FAR. 1% verus 8% is quite a discrepancy......
Bamboo back is a waste of good horn. Why oh why would you do this?

PatM:
There must be a reason if it was a common type of bow, no?
 It doesn't matter if the back stretches or not IF the belly is actually "collapsing" as it bends and not providing as much transferred tension to the back.
 I see no reason why the horn would not be able to work almost to its full advantage in this scenario. Plus without sinew the "paying for its mass" issue would be further diminished.
 One advantage I see is less susceptibility to moisture and draw weight fluctuations without a sinew back.

madmonk:
I know this is an old thread, but I had a question regarding this. Would a silk cable work, in place of the sinew? It has some elasticity, and as a cable, would be easier to obtain and apply (for some of us  :) ).

Pat B:
Cable backings are generally more complicated than sinew backings, IMO, though I've never done a cable baking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version