Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

Do you need to have a sinew back?

<< < (3/9) > >>

james parker:
good points Indianguy
I have built all sorts of bamboo/horn/wood combos ,, they are a type of composite, and they will all shoot,, but have their limits,, as do ,,horn wood and sinew composites,, but the latter can be pushed much farther,,, and as far as wood glue for sinewing horn composite,,, such a waste of the natural resources when building hornbows,,  when using anything other than the natural fish/sinew glues, you will only get minimal to marginal results,, there can be little to no creep of the limbs going back to seasoned reflex... I consider it a short cut with short commings ---simply put ,a backing, nothing more,,...good for wood bows but not good for horn bows

PatM:
So if a person made a tri-lam recurve with say a maple core, water buffalo horn belly and single growth ring backing of Hickory or similar, what would happen?

Gaur:
they would be wasting some good horn  ;D

PatM:
Very skeptical. That would defy everything we know about how bows work.

Gaur:
what besides sinew can handle the the opposing force in tension that horn can handle in compression?  Something like 2500 lb/inch if I remember right. You can make bows like you said with other things for backing but you aren't going to reach the potential of the horn.  Esp if we are talking about a profile with lots of bend in a short area like these Asiatic horn bows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version