Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

Do you need to have a sinew back?

(1/9) > >>

TheDukesArchers:
When it comes to making horn bows, do you always need to have a sinew back? Would a bow that has a horn belly, but a wood core and back be considered a true horn bow?

I've been thinking actually of doing a Turkish style bow with a horn belly, hickory core and rawhide backing
DA

Pat B:
James has made them with boo backing and with boo back and tempered boo belly(no horn).
 Rawhide would only be a covering on a core backed horn belly bow.

mikekeswick:
Sinew = Essential!
Horn can bend about 8  times further than wood.....

james parker:
sinew is a must have component, rawhide will not do the trick ,a bow made that way will take a lot of set, shoot sluggish,
to be a true hornbow, composite,, has the sinew,, historically -- bamboo has been substituted for belly horn.
but ,, I only know from what I have read and my own personal experiences,,, if you do succeed at building a bow the way you are attempting, and it works for you,,,,,please let me know,, you can post it on the regular bows thread page,,,,    james,,

PatM:
 Well Jaap Koppedrayer makes a bamboo back and horn belly bow with no sinew.  I'm pretty sure it is a local variation in Asia. There is really no reason to believe sinew is necessary solely because of the presence of horn.
 Horn is not going to increase the tensile forces on the back is it?
 The sinew is there so that the whole package can be strained to the utmost.
 Naturally the back should still be a high quality backing strip. I'm certainly not saying just leave a typical core to take the tension.

Here is the page with the bow described. Scroll down to Asian Horn Bow. Try not to get too riled up. ;)
http://www.krackow.com/html/bows.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version