Author Topic: Dry climates and yew bows?  (Read 3348 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Dry climates and yew bows?
« on: September 14, 2014, 11:49:28 pm »
Alberta is quite a dry Provence compared to the pacific coast (where the yew comes from). I've heard from a prominent bowyer instruct that it is best to back all yew bows with silk or rawhide where the climate is dry and has low humidity. It is mandatory, but it helps in terms of a bows longlivety.

DA

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Dry climates and yew bows?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 10:11:54 am »
It seems to me I have heard of Yew bows being used at the salt flats for flight shooting, that's pretty dry
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:20:55 am »
It is dry here... But when you get your stave it will dry alot more... Extra backing not needed
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:29:42 pm »
Is your house humidified. If so just keep it inside until you re ready to use it.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BrokenArrow

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:01:32 pm »
I'm from Alberta and just finishing my 2nd yew bow.
My suggestions:
-get a good moisture detector.
-finish bow when moisture is above 5%><8%
-seal with outdoor urethane to seal in moisture.
-no need to back it then.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:14:27 pm »
What disadvantages would a rawhide or silk backng create? To be honest, I couldn't care if it's backed or not. To my mind it will still be a yew self bow.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 07:16:39 pm »
Is your house humidified. If so just keep it inside until you re ready to use it.  ;)

Hey Pat,

House isn't humidified. I just payed a good deal for this stave so I can't have it breaking on me. Just need to do things right from the off.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 07:26:13 pm »
Wood doesn't hydrate or dehydrate over night. It takes a while so if you keep the bow in your house you could use it on the weekends without much change in the M/C.   Build yourself a hickory bow. Hickory loves dry climates and has peak performance in dry conditions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 07:27:50 pm »
You could build a "wet" box. A reasonably airtight box to keep it in. Put a bottle of water in it to raise the humidity and a good hygrometer to keep track of it.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 07:34:11 pm »
Stoker is from a dusty part of AB,so i'm sure it will work!get the tiller right and your off!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 08:36:39 pm »
I've only heard of backing them to cut down on kicks and dings hunting with them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 09:30:01 pm »
It's just what I was told. I myself have never heard of backing yew as the sapwood is meant to do a pretty good job.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 10:28:11 pm »
Would backing with silk or rawhide Havana disadvantages? If it offers even a little bit more protection then is it not a good thing? Maybe it can slow the bow though?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 11:11:53 pm »
Sand the rawhide down like you were using it to Brain tan or use goat rawhide. You just need a thin layer for protection.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 11:16:30 pm »
If you want to play it safe back it with rawhide. Yew is great, very light but it has a reputation of increasing draw weight and suddenly breaking when its cold, and dry. I have read about this in old issues of Prim Archer.
It seemed to be more of a factor with narrow limbed elb. You could also make the limbs a couple of inches longer than your usual design, so it  is under less stress, if you go into harsh conditions.
If it is going to be a hunting bow I would always back a yew bow to stop the sapwood getting dinged.
        Hamish.