Author Topic: Tree ID's, based on leaves/fruit  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Tree ID's, based on leaves/fruit
« on: September 14, 2014, 05:59:33 pm »
It's been wayyyyy too many years since Dendrology (tree id) class.

Mulberry ... correct?

This tree, I have no recollection.  Small red berries.  Top of leaf is shiny green.  Bottom of leaf is dull silvery.

Newish limbs appear to have arrow potential.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 06:05:47 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tree ID's, based on leaves/fruit
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:12:17 pm »
Mulberry and Autumn(or Russian) olive.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:33:10 am »
Mulberry and Autumn(or Russian) olive.

And 1.

Knoll, now try remembering the genus and species for each one from dendrology  :o

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:56:31 pm »
Genus & species?  Without using Google?  Yeah, right.   :( 
I had the strangest experience of my higher ed years with dendrology class.  Course is divided into 2 portions ... 1st semester is tree focused & 2nd semester is focused on lumber.  1st attempt was quickly apparent that I was not "getting it".  Dropped the course after about a month and seriously considered changing majors.  Following year took the course ... had a ball and grades were 1st rate.

Thanks, fellas, for the help!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 12:15:59 am »
Morus(mulberry) and Elaeagnus(autumn olive)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC