Author Topic: Using pokeweed berries for dye?  (Read 5867 times)

Offline Chad

Using pokeweed berries for dye?
« on: September 14, 2014, 03:11:37 pm »
I'm working on my first bow, not finished yet but I have been trying to think of some ways paint/color it. Its a maple board mollegabet  bow, rawhide backed. I saw a pretty cool turkey feather backing on here that I might do on top of the rawhide. But the belly I haven't made up my mind just yet. I know pokeweed berries have been used quite a bit for dyeing purposes. I was curious if anyone has used it on their bow, or arrows for that matter. Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Using pokeweed berries for dye?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 04:05:34 pm »
Berry juice works well for dying bows and arrows but the color is not fast. It has the tendency to fade over time. There may be ways of making it more permanent but I don't know them.
 I do think the berry juice would work best by using alcohol mixed in as the carrier.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chad

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:59:53 pm »
hmm I wouldn't have thought using alcohol but that makes sense, thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:02:46 pm »
The alcohol will help the dye penetrate without lifting the grain like water would do.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chad

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 05:11:29 pm »
I didn't realize that, I thought the reasoning was alcohol penetrated better than water. great info thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 06:08:18 pm »
That too!  ;D

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:02:23 pm »
Use caution as I think poke berries are poisonous.

Offline Chad

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:20:17 pm »
I hope I'm not going foraging nerd on you but I have heard conflicting reports on the edibility of the berries, the seeds however are very poisonous along with the root (always) and plant beyond a food high or so (and when red). Although it can be ate when young and supposedly really good when prepared probably (with boiling and changing of water multiple times). But if you get even a little root, your dead. I've never been brave enough to try it. Either way I will definitely be wearing some gloves.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:12:50 am »
My Grandpa swallowed one berry whole (frozen) everyday for years. Older generation round here say it helps with rhumatism. It might have killed him i spose...he was only 89  :o... I have used it for dye done as Pat said.. On osage its not even visable.. On white woods it makes a nice purple but very quickly fades to light pink... I have been meaning to try it on feathers to see what it will do but havent yet.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 08:39:30 am »
I use Prickly Pear Cactus juice over my earth paints to size it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline autologus

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 09:08:51 am »
Use caution as I think poke berries are poisonous.

They are poisonous but you have to eat them to make you sick, it will cause gastrointestinal discomfort.  Getting it on you will not make you sick but will stain you like crazy.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Chad

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 08:17:55 pm »
My Grandpa swallowed one berry whole (frozen) everyday for years. Older generation round here say it helps with rhumatism. It might have killed him i spose...he was only 89  :o... I have used it for dye done as Pat said.. On osage its not even visable.. On white woods it makes a nice purple but very quickly fades to light pink... I have been meaning to try it on feathers to see what it will do but havent yet.... Brian

Great info....I don't think I want a pink bow....

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 10:19:10 pm »
I discovered a couple days ago that giant ragweed seed heads will make a deep purplish stain on your hands if you smash them between your fingers.  I rubbed a little on a wood block I had in the back of the pickup and it is still a dark reddish, brownish, purple even a few days later exposed to the sun most of the day.  It's prime time for ragweed here in kansas gonna try it on a little hackberry bow tomorrow.  I'll post pics if anyone is interested.   

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 11:35:39 pm »
I ate a pokeweed berry once.  Tasted horrible.  Would not recommend it.

Offline Chad

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 11:38:01 pm »
I discovered a couple days ago that giant ragweed seed heads will make a deep purplish stain on your hands if you smash them between your fingers.  I rubbed a little on a wood block I had in the back of the pickup and it is still a dark reddish, brownish, purple even a few days later exposed to the sun most of the day.  It's prime time for ragweed here in kansas gonna try it on a little hackberry bow tomorrow.  I'll post pics if anyone is interested.
I would be interested, it grows crazy here in Southern Illinois