Author Topic: Got a personal crest?  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Got a personal crest?
« on: September 11, 2014, 05:59:59 pm »
To crest or not to crest, that is the question...

Do you have your own personal crest? Mine is pretty simple. Three red lines in red ochre. All my arrows will have this crest on them and everyone knows these arrows are mine. I might opt to put a couple thin black lines to border them, but those three red lines will always be there. My basket quiver has it on there, my bows have it on upper and lower limbs, my tomahawk has it on the upper handle, and the deer skull I have hanging up to hold my certain arrows has three red lines on the forehead. Anyway, that's my crest. I never change it.

Yours? Got one?
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Got a personal crest?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 06:08:37 pm »
Somewhere on all my arrows I put the words "Meniedeluh Muga"  which means Dancing Bear in Shawnee. 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 06:55:27 pm »
Some years ago, I was out shooting in the boonies, pinyon-juniper "forest" and lost an arrow. It was near an ancient Sinagua village site, pottery shard all over the place and once in a while, a projectile point turns up. Anyway, a couple months after I lost my arrow, a co-worker says to me, "Hey, I found an ancient arrow! I have it in my truck, let me show it to you!" So he brings in the arrow I lost and I said, "That's not old, it only looks that way because it's sat out for a couple months and I make mine in that way. I made that arrow. See those three red lines? That's my personal mark. All my arrows have that. But you can have it if you really want it." He doesn't believe me, so I said, look, tomorrow I'll bring in the rest of the set and you'll see. So I brought them in and he saw I made that arrow. He was bummed because he thought he'd found a really old arrow. But I said, look, you can have that arrow. You can hang that on your wall and say you FOUND that arrow. You don't have to say how old it really is. Let them think what they want to. He was pretty happy about that and gave me a bag of fire-roasted green chiles in appreciation. So, in a roundabout way, I went shooting and bagged some roasted green chiles. That was a good hunt.   

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:16:13 pm »
I've used a simple crest of red ocher for about 25 years, but changed my cresting this summer.  I haven't decided if I want to keep the new one yet. A creature of habit, I may have to return to my old one. My old crest, and new crest.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:23:38 pm »
They both look great! I did the same thing, trying more fanciful crests, but they still incorporated the three red lines. But, after time, I opted for more simplicity with just three red lines and thin black line borders.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 03:00:50 pm »
I have to agree with you Dharma; simple is better. Thanks    CC

Offline unkieford

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 11:19:40 pm »
I'm also in the 'less is more' club. Our House crest (Wife and I) is black and silver. The colors are a nod to her homeland, New Zealand. Usually a simple 3 band design. Her arrows are fletched all black, and the nock feather is marked by a small hand-drawn silver fern leaf just in front of it.
They're pretty easy to tell apart from others.

---Ford---

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:44:32 am »
On my stone point arrows I use rattle snake skin for a crest  otherwise I use no crest just a plain arrow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 08:52:15 am »
I use to have ,but forgot what it was. ??? :-\ ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good