Author Topic: A touch of kink  (Read 6139 times)

Stringman

A touch of kink
« on: September 12, 2014, 11:14:15 am »
I started working on this stave a couple months ago and was struggling to find any momentum. It is from an old fence post and rife with flaws. From minor bugs hole, to drying checks as well as a few knots and kinks. This stick has it all.

I began taking layers off the back trying to remove the most of the problems and decided to leave a few in the handle to give me a better grip. This makes it a non-bending handle, but not by much.

After finding the growth ring I wanted, I noticed it had a nice amount of natural reflex. I evened the tips out by adding a small flip before I began tillering.

Now on the short string and it's coming along nicely. I had to adjust both tips slightly to get the proper string alignment, but otherwise she seems to be handling the transformation just fine.

Stringman

Re: A touch of kink
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 11:20:24 am »
I was thrilled when I began to draw it and the kink wasn't a hinge.

This is where I'm at now. 60" ttt 42#@24"

Let me know if you are seeing something I'm missing.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:59:47 am »
Scott you did a good job with that. If anything it may be just a tad flat between the kink and what looks a knot on the left limb. I would really have to watch it as it's drawn to be conclusive. If it draws smooth just shoot the sucker.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:46:55 pm »
It could be a bit stiff on the left limb like Jon said. I'd shoot her some and see how she looks then.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:21:57 pm »
looks like you did a great job,, nice bow,,b

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 01:37:42 pm »
Wow. Nice job getting that to bend that well.

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 02:51:56 pm »
I will definitely take a hard look at that spot. Currently adding some cork to the handle to fill it out some in the palm. After that I will work on tips. Gonna keep exercising it and see if anything else develops. If this bow makes it just might be worthy of a rare set of hognose skins.   

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 03:09:51 pm »
Yo Scott, that's sweet :)
Hard to know when to quit with a stave like that...
I'd say you should maybe stroke the left limb lightly with the tail feathers of a Phoenix, that should do it ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 05:19:20 pm »
That looks great!  I would probably go over the spot mentioned earlier with my calipers and call it good - it's pretty hard to tell from photos if it is flat or just another wacky spot.  I wouldn't mind a front view photo of that grip area - is it just a bit narrower than the limbs?  The side profile looks really nice and comfy.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 05:31:39 pm »
Great job man. Looks like you did that nasty stave some good :).  Can't wait to see her with some makeup.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 05:39:20 pm »
Oooo, I'm liking the challenge of that stave! I'm seeing what the others are on the left limb, but I'm also seeing that you bending a bit too much out of your right fade. If you look at how much more reflex the left limb has unbraced, then braced and drawn it looks like they are bending the same, from here it looks like your right limb needs to be bending just a hair more.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 05:50:52 pm »
Can't give any solid opinion on the tiller from where I'm looking at it from, pretty sure I wouldn't know where to go with it next if I was holding it in my hand either. Tricky one Scott, I get headaches trying to tiller ones like that.
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out though, gonna be a cool bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 06:28:07 pm »
Good luck with that one Scott.  Remember to stop right before you hear a tick  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Otter

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 07:15:12 pm »
Looks great Scott....would bet its a good shooter...how old of a fence post was it ?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 07:21:49 pm »
Can't give any solid opinion on the tiller from where I'm looking at it from, pretty sure I wouldn't know where to go with it next if I was holding it in my hand either. Tricky one Scott, I get headaches trying to tiller ones like that.
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out though, gonna be a cool bow.

Ditto what BB said
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking