Author Topic: I have a question plz..  (Read 6425 times)

Offline akila

I have a question plz..
« on: January 08, 2008, 07:06:50 pm »
Hello... i wanna ask you something...someone wants to give me a honey locust log, witch is 14 years old...the log was inside a garage ....he was there like a post or something...i don't know Watt is called this thing...he supported the roof of the garage..i hope you understand what i mean...the log is supposed to be 18" in diameter. I wanna ask you if its not to  old??? to be used on making bows out of him??..14 years.... :-\
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 07:18:12 pm by akila »

Offline DanaM

Re: I have a question plz..
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:08:15 pm »
Take it and try it, nothing ventured nothing gained....
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:10:58 pm »
examine the wood closely for decay or overdrying. does it have any checks (splits) in the wood? break off a small peice and see if it splinters easily. locust being a heartwood it may still be ok. especially if it hasn't been outside or around a lot of moisture. worst thing that could happen is you might try a bow and it breaks. then you've got some good firewood. i'd say try it and see if the wood looks good.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 07:30:52 pm »
The very first hunting weight bow I ever made was a black locust fence post that had been in use about twenty years .We pulled up a section of fence to add a gate.

Ralph

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 08:31:29 pm »
   You can make a bow out of Honey Locust if you make the limbs wide. But it is not as good as Black Locust for heavy weight bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 08:42:06 pm »
I would say to try it. You can do a bend test on a small piece to see if it is OK. Unless it has rot or infested with insects it should be OK. even if it is checked you can use the wood between the checks. If I had it I would make a bow and see what happens.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 10:23:02 pm »
  Pat,The next time you go back to Chris',there is a 20" log I left behind the tent.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 11:33:54 pm »
Gross :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:39:10 pm »
I dont know about honey locust but black locust is highly rott resistant. Thats why the use it for fence posts.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 12:17:41 am »
Eddie, locust or honey locust?    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline akila

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 04:21:29 am »
Thks guys for you help..i will give it a try...the only problem is that i will get that log in the spring...the man has to replace it with something els,,,,untill thenn....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 08:12:28 am »
What Pat said,just make a little bow out of a piece of it and bend it, if it has dry rotted you will know it. :)I do this with any questionable wood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 09:42:10 pm »
  WIBOWYER,uh, yea one of those too. ;). Pat , it's honey Locust. One of Chris' ,dads friends gave it to me. There was no way I could haul it on my Jeep rack. It's about 8' long and 20 or so inches around.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 12:22:15 am »
Eddie, If its on the ground it will probably rot. Honey locust isn't decay resistant like black locust or osage.   Pat

Offline akila

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 08:35:28 am »
Eddie, If its on the ground it will probably rot. Honey locust isn't decay resistant like black locust or osage.   Pat

Yess...he is right.. i just get an honey locust log a fiew nounth a go, it wass 3 years old, and wass put next to a wall , not on the gorund, it wass standing up next to a wall under the roof of the house, and i must say that the heart wass rotten...i could save 4 stave  out of him ...but the good stuff wass damage.