Author Topic: Is anybody home?  (Read 3642 times)

Offline docmann

• Proud Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Is anybody home?
« on: September 12, 2014, 02:13:43 am »
Is it just me, or is this site a virtual ghost town?
Was contacted via email a couple of weeks back about entering bows in BOM. Didn't really think that my little horse bow was of that quality, but since the solicitation went out, I thought I'd accommodate.
Attempted to follow the directions outlined in the "Rules" post.
First of all, Cipriano, the person whom we are directed to PM, is no where on the members list.  If he is, he is in a clandestine area not with the "c"s
Well, no problem, I'll just email the sender of the solicitation (the one asking for entries in the BOM contest). No response. Hmmmm.
I'll just PM one or two other members whose names are associated with BOM contest ( I'm intentionally not posting the user names so as not to derogate or embarrass anyone). No response.
Am I missing something here?
My emails and PMs contain just very basic questions about photos, and rules, etc., but either they're floating somewhere in cyberspace, or several of the individuals involved with this site are out on holiday.
I've enjoyed the communication that I've had with the few posts in which I've been involved in other sections of this fine organization, but this BOM site is as aloof as any I've ever tried to access.
I'm sure this post will not last long here, but the satisfaction of seeing somebody respond will be at least a sign that somebody's home.
Thank you for reading this, and an even bigger thanks if somebody responds.
Doc

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Is anybody home?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:59:33 am »
If you read above where your post is you will see everything explained in simple terms on how to enter your bow for BOM
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:17:18 am »
Cipriano is on the member list under "criveraville".   I reread the rules thread and noticed that this bit of information was not clearly spelled out for newcomers.  I don't believe this was due to deliberate  clandestine secrecy, but simply  a matter of assuming that every one has been here long enough to know who was who.  That's something that can easily happen with a close knit group such as this.  As far as the aloof bit goes, I can see how someone can reach that opinion.  However, that perception is not the reality.  The fact is Cipriano has been going through some pretty trying times as of late.  With a little patience and understanding we can expect the BOM to get back on track once he gets healed up and fully recovered from everything.  I hope that clears up matters for you at least a little.  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:21:28 am »
This was copied and pasted from a post by Camaroo:

Application is as easy as posting some pictures on the forum, and then forwarding Cipriano (Criveraville) a PM containing a link to your post.  You must have a subscription to the magazine in order to enter (either in print, or an E-mag subscription), and must include your subscription number in the message to Cip.

Here are some tips for BOM submissions: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39851.0.html

And a more detailed explanation of the contest rules: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,21209.0.html

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 08:39:56 am »
There you go!  It doesn't get much clearer than that.   :)  Josh

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 09:39:39 am »
I have only had ONE PM not answered. I have sent and received many. I too had an issue trying to contact Cipriano, but one PM and about 13 minutes later that was answered for me. The hardest thing I have done on this site is to get my subscription number, and that only took 2 emails and about 23 hours.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 05:45:14 pm »
Was contacted via email a couple of weeks back about entering bows in BOM. Didn't really think that my little horse bow was of that quality, but since the solicitation went out, I thought I'd accommodate.
First of all, Cipriano, the person whom we are directed to PM, is no where on the members list.  If he is, he is in a clandestine area not with the "c"s
Well, no problem, I'll just email the sender of the solicitation (the one asking for entries in the BOM contest). No response. Hmmmm.
I'll just PM one or two other members whose names are associated with BOM contest ( I'm intentionally not posting the user names so as not to derogate or embarrass anyone). No response.
My emails and PMs contain just very basic questions about photos, and rules, etc., but either they're floating somewhere in cyberspace, or several of the individuals involved with this site are out on holiday.
I've enjoyed the communication that I've had with the few posts in which I've been involved in other sections of this fine organization, but this BOM site is as aloof as any I've ever tried to access.
I'm sure this post will not last long here, but the satisfaction of seeing somebody respond will be at least a sign that somebody's home.
Doc

Hello.  i received your email September 11, 2014, 11:37:35 pm.  i was asleep, and just now saw it.  im a kinder teacher, with three kids of my own.  that makes my life very busy.  i am still one handed due to shoulder surgery, but i hope your questions have been answered above.  i appreciate your interest in entering the BOM contest. 

PS.  school is interesting as well..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline docmann

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 06:55:38 pm »
Thanks for the information. I am brand new to the site so had no way of knowing that Cipriano is now known as this or that. This does clear it up. The frustration was simply that I was asked to enter my bow, but the deadline was the end of the month. Every attempt made was unsuccessful. The contact name nonexistent. Things are clear now. Certainly hope Cipriano is doing well, and sorry to hear about any difficulties.
I can appreciate busy.  When I'm not building archery equipment or hunting, I play doctor in a busy ER, operate a clinic through the week, catch a few babies on the side, and am a father of five.
As I mentioned, I've had good luck with previous posts, and participants very affable and helpful.
Being from Oklahoma, I tend to hang out on another site with many of my cronies, but it's good to visit with different folks with different ideas, and I've had some good feedback here.
As a point of clarification, the correspondence I referred to are not the ones from 9/11. The earlier emails and PMs I sent are around August 30 and 31. It had been 10 days from my initial emails and PMs, so I hope you can see why I was beginning to believe that no one was home.
No worries, gang. Happy to be on board, and I appreciate the clarification.
Mark
Cheyenne-Arapaho Nation
Oklahoma Indian Territory

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 11:06:18 pm »
Docman;

Kinda like when I get off work for a Dr's appointment at noon for one at 2, to get there a half hour early ::) and finally get to see the Doc at 3 or later. This site gives you a chance to relax and chill. ;)
Eddie
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 11:12:36 pm »
Yep .... it might be a minute or two, but you won't find a better bunch to deal with.... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline docmann

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 12:33:01 am »
Eddie,
You're killing me here! (Truth always hurts). Like I said, you've got a good bunch here!
Look forward to picking your collective brains!
Thanks again.
Doc

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 09:36:26 am »
Doc

Also if you would have had a looked at the name of the member that posts the BOM you would have seen that it was criveraville.  Just because you missed entering your bow this month doesn't mean you can't enter it next month
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline docmann

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 12:39:37 pm »
Again, that little bow is what I would refer to as a ham-and-egger. It's not a show stopper. Was just pursuing a request to enter. Didn't chase down any posts on the BOM site to see who the real identity of Cipriano is. Just following the directions to the letter.
As I stated, I did pick out a few posts of others who were listed in the BOM, and attempted to PM.
It's all academic at this point. but I appreciate the observations.
I'm preparing for Oct 1 here and doing my best to wear out a small area of serving string on a couple of different bows. I am going to let that little horse bow try to earn it's keep on opening day if I can catch this certain 8-PT looking the other way for a split second.
The velvet is coming off here and there's a slight chill in the air that wakes up the annual instinct to fletch another dozen Sitka Spruce shafts and put an edge on the stainless spoon points. Hope everybody has their favorite spots situated for the autumn excursion that will, for most of us, prove to be the ultimate bow contest.
Again, thanks to all for the observations and directives. Perhaps this will make it easier on the next newcomer wanting to participate.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 05:43:13 pm »
one thing you may or may not know is if you simply click their name that will take you to their profile and a place to pm or read all their post's
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline docmann

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 09:03:59 pm »
Thanks again.