Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

My project.

<< < (3/5) > >>

Parnell:
That's a useful link Bubby, thanks!

IndianGuy:
Parnell, the waves in your horn look worrisome to me, ive made several really good horn bows and broke several too...that might cause you some problems.... Don't overheat or over steam, that will make your horn brittle, you almost have to get it right the very first time.
E

loefflerchuck:
These are Alaskan dall right? In Adam's turk hornbow (bible) he says not to boil or steam the horn more than 10 min at a time. I have used Alaskan dall before but the bow tips had a bit of a twist that I compensated for with a offset handle. I stopped using dall unless I can find a good deal on 30"+ horns and these yeild a 34" - finished bow. I steam them wait a few weeks to see how much twist returns. Then cut the twist out(almost half the length). Remember these horns have memory and twist returns in time. 

Parnell:
IndianGuy, I agree with the kinks and took them out with another round of hot water.  I've looked at the horn, illuminating it under a lamp and I can't see any problems with the horn so I'm going to continue on.  I'm not using hot water at this point, anymore.  I haven't had the limbs in boiling water for more than a few minutes at a clip and they seem still "oily" and flexible.

Chuck, I'm now using just dry heat, lightly, to make corrections.  I came up with these two wood clamps to get them pretty straight and feel like I made some good progress.  I'm now working on the lap splice, slowly.  It seems to be progressing.

Don't know if this bow will work out, but I'm going to do my best to see it through...

Here are some recent pictures of how it progresses.

I'm trying to recruit my wife to help me process sinew...Ha!

loefflerchuck:
Using an electric burner is good dry heat method. If your using a heat gun be careful. You can dry out these horns. It will be a bow. Just maybe shorter after you cut out what you can't straiten

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version