Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Flight arrows

<< < (2/5) > >>

Marc St Louis:
Allan Case is well know in flight shooting for his laminated Bamboo arrows which so far are superior to anything else out there.  I have to admit though that I am a bit puzzled why they would allow laminated Bamboo arrows and not forgewood shafts in the primitive class.  Light arrows will come out faster but their lower mass means they will slow down faster, given a specific drag.  Heavier arrows of the same diameter will carry their velocity better.

I did a bit of experimenting many years ago with different weight arrows and arrows of different materials.  My best results were with HHB arrows around 275 grains with a diameter of about 1/4"

Here are some of the arrows I experimented with.  The arrow at the bottom is one you sent me Steve after you set the record with my sinew backed recurve.

This other picture shows some HHB arrows and a couple Meadowsweet arrows

adb:
Thanks, Marc. Duh... I never thought Allan Case was the name of a person. I'll do a google search for him.

Thanks for the pics of the arrows.

PatM:
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/29783/Split-Cane-Bamboo-Flight-Arrows

son of massey:
Marc, I don't know that I have ever seen HHB arrows before. Are those split out? If so, what diameter log did you start with and how did you find a clean enough section? Most of the HHB I have run across has enough character that I would think getting arrows out of it would be a real investment of effort.

SOM

Badger:
  I have pretty good luck with the purple heart and the ipe arrows as well. I think the denser woods fight drag a lot better than the lighter woods. My purple heart and larch arrows were doing a pretyy good job of keeping up with Allens Laminated arrows this year but none of them were comming out as clean as they should be comming out. 270 grains is a lot more forgiving than 200 grains but if you can get the 200 grain arrow to come out straight it will have a lot more speed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version