Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Flight arrows

<< < (3/5) > >>

PatM:
Clean HHB is not THAT rare. At least up here. You just have to put in some walking to select the best trees.
 I never use it for arrows but the trees I select as bow quality are also mostly arrow quality.

son of massey:
Pat,

I can't see much of the grain in the pictures, but what I can see it looks really clean. I have lots of 'pretty decent' straight HHB, just not much that is that good and not for any appreciable length. I was also curious to how it was prepared because I have not had much luck splitting out small bits of it-the tree in general splits fine but smaller pieces tend to run out on me a lot-partly due to even somewhat wonky grain. So if they were sawed the minor twists and dips will not be followed real closely-which leads to the follow up question I was going to drive at. For these thinner lighter arrow shafts I would assume (and maybe incorrectly) that clean grain is more important than with our "lumbering" large hunting arrows because each run off makes up a larger percentage weak spot at that shaft. Combine that with what I also assume to be more violent forces being applied to these smaller shafts and it seems like one would have to be very particular about grain. Ultimately I guess that is what I was going to get to wondering-are flight arrows something one needs to far more picky with?. Also it was just cool to see shafts made from that tree-like I said I don't think I have ever seen that and I doubt I would have thought of it any time soon.

SOM

PatM:
HHB is so dense and tight grained that minor wiggles can be straight-lined. I would be pickier about flight arrows in general though

Marc St Louis:
You're welcome Adam.  Glad to see you have an interest in flight, it's an interesting sport

HHB does not need to be straight grain to make arrows and flight arrows are relatively short.  It's such a tough wood that the arrows can be made out wood that has spiral growth.  Most of the HHB I would cut back then would be at least 6" in diameter and occasionally some trees of 10" ~ 12".  I know where there are some trees right now that are at least 12" in diameter but they have considerable spiral growth.

How much more speed would you get from an arrow 75 grains lighter Steve?

Badger:
  Mark, that is a good question, in the next week or so I will test that out. I took a bow to the flights that was my fastest ever that didn't fallapart on me. I was getting 260 with 200 grains, I am going to take a guess I loose about 30 to 40 feet per second at 270 grains but really don't know for sure. I plan to retest the bow anyway to see how much it lost now that it is shot in pretty well. I just now weighed the arrow the bow did the best with at 340 yards and it weighed 245 grains. The lighter arrows were about 40 yards behind it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version