Author Topic: cedar question  (Read 2329 times)

Offline chessieboy

cedar question
« on: January 08, 2008, 01:22:49 pm »
I have a question about cedars.  I was told that ERC had the blueish white berries on it.  I was out with the smoke pole today and found some cedars that didn't have the berries (others around here still do) but I noticed that the braches had the needles 360 degrees where other cedars are flat.  The heart wood was dark red when I broke off a limb.  Do you guys think this is ERC or do othe cedars get dark red like that?  Sorry no pics yet.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: cedar question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 01:34:39 pm »
ERC (like most junipers) has two types of growth-juvenile growth, which is the little sharp needles arranged 360 degrees around the twig; and mature growth, which is flattish, scaly, and fan-like. The juvenile growth often shows up on young trees and fast growing branches. ERC trees have to be quite old before they start producing berries. ERC is also dioceous (seperate male and female plants,) so only the females produce berries at maturity. The berries are blueish with a whiteish "bloom" on them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: cedar question
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:50:48 pm »
We have 3 types of juniper here. All 3 have dark red heartwood.  All 3 get berries similar in color.  You can tell the difference by looking at the berries size and texture and the bark. Does that confuse you at all. Well let me help more, none of ours are ERC.   ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah