Author Topic: Goose Feather Fletching  (Read 5631 times)

Offline IsaacW

Goose Feather Fletching
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:18:57 pm »
Anyone know if goose (Canada) feathers strip like turkey?  I can simple test and try, but I would rather just know before I bugger up some good feathers.  If not, I can cut and grind the "hard" way.  ;)   I am working on a couple Dark Ages arrows for hunting season and want to use goose rather than my normal turkey. 

Thanks,

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Goose Feather Fletching
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:24:16 pm »
How exactly do turkey feathers strip? I always have to cut and grind them.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:52 pm »
How exactly do turkey feathers strip? I always have to cut and grind them.

I do not know how to explain other than you can just peel/carefully pull the vane from the quill, bringing with it only a thin outside bit of the quill
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:33:33 pm »
I've done it with green primaries and it worked well but had very bad luck tryin to strip goose feathers after they had "cured" abit.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 02:45:55 pm »
If the feathers are old(dry) you can rehydrate them by placing them in a zip loc bag with a damp paper towel inside for a day or two.
 I've never stripped goose feathers but they should strip just like turkey feathers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 02:53:18 pm »
I have a board with a clip mounted at one end. clip the feathers quill (I cut most of it up to about a 1/4" from the feathers vanes) and straighten it down.Then I used a thin scrap board clamped at the tip of the feather to hold it down while I used a razor blade to cut down the middle. I know its not super primitive an it leaves a lot of room for improvement, but I dont usually have any goose feathers, just turkey that split really well! Canadian geese feathers are more oily I think and IMO are very good at dealing with wetter weather.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 02:59:41 pm »
I stripped enough goose feathers to do a dozen 2 fletch arrows for my brother Dan last year. I do recall them not coming off the quill as nice as the turkey feathers I have done but I would describe it doable. If I went slow and kept attentive I didn't loose a feather.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 05:03:19 pm »
Yes, they strip like turkey.  And like Pat mentioned, they can be plumped up with a little moisture (turkey, goose, whatever) to make them strip easier. 

I set a teakettle on the stove and get a good hot stream of steam blowing out the spout and I drag the feathers back and forth thru that before stripping.  Feathers that look ruined often plump and straighten out nicely. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 08:38:03 pm »
Thanks guys!  I also have some sexy bronze nocks for these that are repro'd from some originals dug from a Norse village in northern Germany... Haithabu

IW
Aldo Leopold

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 11:21:36 pm »
Stripped quick and nicely!

Now to do the heads... Glue, sinew, and birchbark wrapping
Aldo Leopold

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:07:39 am »
Here is an image of the original bronze nocks from Haithabu (Hedeby)

Aldo Leopold