Author Topic: Another heat treating question  (Read 3326 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Another heat treating question
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:32:26 pm »
Ok, I heat treated my trade bow which was red elm. It worked great other than twisting the crap out if it. Now I'm wondering if anybody has heat treated muscle wood, and what results did you all get. Thanks!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Another heat treating question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 01:35:14 pm »
Didn't you have the stave clamped when you heat treated it?   Most white woods benefit from heat treating.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 01:51:14 pm »
Not sure on Hornbeam Dave but I'd think any white wood would benefit from heat treating.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 05:49:35 pm »
HHB takes heat well.  Not sure about the non hop variety. 

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 06:18:23 pm »
Yup..I've done it on musclewood...works great

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 07:52:09 pm »
Thanks guys!! Pat, no I did not have the stave clamped...oops! Live and learn I guess.

Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 08:13:35 pm »
Didn't you have the stave clamped when you heat treated it?   Most white woods benefit from heat treating.

I am glad this came up.  I don't want to hi-jack this thread so, if I should start a new thread please tell me. 

I have a hackberry stave that warped quite a bit as it was drying and I have heated and straightened it out.   I am at floor tiller now and plan to heat treat before I do much more tillering.  Will the stave try to go back to it's warped shape if I heat treat without it clamped?   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 08:27:14 pm »
I always clamp a bow before or during heat treating. Think about it...you are drying out the belly side and probably not evenly and not the back so the internal stresses or lack of it will allow the wood to move.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 08:37:55 pm »
I have only heat treated one bow so have nearly zero experience to draw from.  I heat treated and was putting in a little reflex at the same time.  I scorched the back some in a couple places.  I think I need to make up a narrower form with no back on it to try to avoid overheating the back of the bow.  Just the width of a 2x with holes drilled to hook clamps in. 

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 08:09:54 pm »

I have a hackberry stave that warped quite a bit as it was drying and I have heated and straightened it out.   I am at floor tiller now and plan to heat treat before I do much more tillering.  Will the stave try to go back to it's warped shape if I heat treat without it clamped?

Pat I hear what you are saying about wood's tendency to move if not clamped due to uneven internal stress in the wood.  I was just curious if I should expect my stave that warped while drying that I have now heated and straightened to try to return to its origianal warped shape while I am heat treating.  I guess it doesn't really matter if I am going to clamp it anyway just wanting to see if you more experienced guys could give me an idea of what to expect.  Thanks again for any insight you can provide.   I feel priveleged to be able to tap into you guys that have been doing this a while.