Author Topic: osage acoustic guitar?  (Read 6720 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: osage acoustic guitar?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 08:51:33 pm »

No reason you can't make a CBG* with osage! 

damn straight skippy, if you can build a guitar from a shovel you can build one from anything

*Cigar Box Guitar
[/quote]

I love the Shovelman!  His music rocks!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 09:04:52 pm »
I think you and me have the same taste in music JW
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Tyke

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 09:33:14 pm »
Just found what i was looking for at a online music store will post pics when its done
why buy it when you can build it

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 12:13:55 pm »
If y'all want to see a cool guitar check out my friends site - Little guitar works.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 12:49:46 pm »

Did Hohner actually make these or just put their name on them? I only ask cuz i collect harmonicas and its got me curious, lol.... Brian
[/quote]

I worked for Kimball Piano back in the early 80's and we kept abreast of the industry as a whole back then. I know Hohner was making their qwn acoustics around that time but like many others I think they started affixing their label to the "standard" Korean and Japanese guitars of the day.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 01:03:37 pm »
do a google search for ...images of osage orange guitar...holy smokes!!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 12:24:14 pm »
Just picked up my monthly box of cigars and the lady asked me what I was doing with my old cigar boxes. I guess a fellow makes guitars out of them and they sound great. Worth checking out.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 03:28:19 am »
Hey, call Rosewood archery. He had a lot of osage last time I went, I'm sure he has something in the size you want.
Springfield, MO

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 02:03:42 pm »

Well, I don't about the sound if you use it for the top, or back, it might very bright, or very dead.  Sitka Spruce is still king, and some guitar makers like "Lund" are using Cedar.  I would think that Osage would make a nice laminated neck, or a one piece neck, or even a fret board, and bridge, as it will darken over time.  I think you are putting yourself in for some hard work, and frustration. Like they said, a 24 inch Osage board, will be like trying to finding an original Gibson D28 banjo, with the checker board perfeling, or however you spell it, and the gold flake finish, in mint condition, at a yard sale.  Better to look for 12 inch wide, and go with re sawing, and sanding.  But even a 12 inch wide Osage is not readily available.  It will take some looking, as I am sure it is out there, it's just a question of where.  I don't know if it would even make a good sound board/neck attachment block.  But it does sound interesting.  I know a guy down here, who did some repairs on my Martin, and he used to work for Ovation, and now is a warranted repair site for Martin, and other companies.  Well he made a beautiful acoustic guitar out of some Hawaiian exotic wood, but it was very heavy.  You would need a strap for sure.  Good luck, and let us know how you progress.  I too would like to eventually make a guitar, as I have some ideas, I would like to try.

Wayne